Hate Scaring People :-)

Business By Kitagrl Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 3:18am by tarheelgirl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 20

Today set up a meeting with a lady who wants a very special cake for her handicapped daughter. I told her my price range and she seemed okay with it. But as soon as she found out I work from home instead of a bakery she started to get nervous...and decided to change the time so that her husband could come with her (I'm meeting at a coffee shop due to it being too difficult to schedule my four boys to be away for consults anymore).

She said "I don't want to get taken for a ride over a birthday cake." I was so taken aback...I should have told her I'm licensed and insured in my state but I couldn't think straight, and just told her that today I'm working on a cake for a prominent photographer and that my reputation will not "take her for a ride" and that she doesn't need to worry about being taken by me. (She did see my Fox Philly Hotlist award and all that, so she had done her research on me.)

She wasn't being mean...just wants to make sure everything is perfect for her little girl and so after I hung up I was like thinking "Aww man. My home business scares people." haha. I guess its just an opportunity for me, when I meet them, to show them the benefits of choosing a home baker...the more personalized attention, and also the attention to detail that they cannot get at a regular bakery...or if they do, it will probably cost alot more (i.e. charm city cakes).

Anyway NO I'm not being negative LOL (some of you are gonna be like, Kita, are you whining again? haha)....just talking! icon_smile.gif

19 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 20

Oh barf!. You're licensed. You've received awards. You have kudos from customers....disabled daughter or not, she can take a hike! So she did her research and found things that would satisfy 99 out of 100 people. Sorry to say, she's probably out for a freebie or discount. Bah!

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 20

Bummer. I work from my commercial, licensed kitchen at home too. I feel for you! But there will always be those people out there that think their cake is just so darn special that only a "professional" bakery could possibly handle it. I hope her husband will see through the brain fog and order from you.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 20

I know, sometimes I get nervous when people preface their order with "I have a handicapped....." almost as if maybe I give discounts for that.

I love handicapped kids and everything, and I know families who deal with that, there's always something special about them. BUT I have to make a living too. haha.

I *think* she was just saying it because she wants me to know how customized and special she wants the cake done....because its a special gift for her daughter....but we'll find out.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 20

Hope so Kita.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I know, sometimes I get nervous when people preface their order with "I have a handicapped....." almost as if maybe I give discounts for that.

I love handicapped kids and everything, and I know families who deal with that, there's always something special about them. BUT I have to make a living too. haha.

I *think* she was just saying it because she wants me to know how customized and special she wants the cake done....because its a special gift for her daughter....but we'll find out.

My daughter is considered "special needs". She has down syndrome and its not something I bring up when I go to buy or order her something. And I don't think her any more special then the other 6 kids have for that matter. I think it's strange, and a little ridiculous, that she would bring it up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 20

so she thinks everyone with a storefront will never "take her for a ride"? icon_confused.gif What a ma-ROON!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 20

Ya know Indy, everytime I hear you say, "What a ma-ROON", all I think is Bugs Bunny! icon_razz.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:05am
post #9 of 20

IDK, maybe it's just her. When people find out I make cakes, they get a little sparkle in their eye. They seem to like knowing they know someone who "does cakes." Ages ago, when I needed a cake for my nieces wedding, I used a home baker with no qualms. I walked into the only cake supply shop I knew of at the time and asked them if knew anyone. I got the info for the most requested person and gave her a call the next day. It was a little scary meeting her for the first time at her house but I took my sis along. Maybe it's because my extended family has always known someone who "does cakes," though. It's always felt more personal and customized to me to use a home baker.

Maybe handicapped was mentioned b/c she will be coming along for the consult and such. She may have problems finding someone to stay with her daughter while she goes to appointments and such; but I know very little about such things.

rozzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozzle Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 8:41am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

My daughter is considered "special needs". She has down syndrome and its not something I bring up when I go to buy or order her something. And I don't think her any more special then the other 6 kids have for that matter. I think it's strange, and a little ridiculous, that she would bring it up.

I completely agree, my daughter has cerebral palsy and i wouldn't bring it up when buying her things, even when we get to know people its not the first thing i say (altho sometimes i do have to let them know as she also has hypersensitivity lol)

In my opinion i think she is just trying to get a cheaper cake out of it but lets hope her husband sees through this lol

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:32am
post #11 of 20

I feel bad for the daughter. Can you imagine being her, with her mom always introducing her to people as "my handicapped daughter"?

rozzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozzle Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 20

yeah definately, the last thing any person wants is to be individualized especially in a world that is still so cruel. Yeah if people ask i will explain but only if asked and if i feel they need to know other wise i tell them to mind their own. My little girl (whos 3 next month) if someone asks about her splints now just turns around and says "cos im special" thats good enough for most people lol

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:56am
post #13 of 20

Last summer, i had a client tell me the WHOLE life story of her disabled daughter (she died twice) and guess who was the one to be taken on the ride?

Oh, yeah, it was me. I delivered the cake and EVERYTHING was wrong..the colors, the size, the elements, everything was WRONG. I gave her $50 off and got a phone call an hour later saying the cake had collapsed and I need to come fix it.

After I drove 45 minutes UPHILL through the Blue Ridge Mtns on the parkway the entire time, she drives it another 20 minutes and it collapses?

No way.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:05am
post #14 of 20

Oh great. thumbsdown.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #15 of 20

But, that's not to say that every client with a disabled child is out to get you. In my experience, next time someone says "we don't get no fancy cakes 'round here"...it's best that I'm booked for that weekend.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:39am
post #16 of 20

hi kitagrl-
good luck with the client. and i just peeked at your picutres and i think she would be honored to have you make her daughters cake!
your cakes are awesome!! i wish you could make my daughter and grandaughters cake next month!

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:43am
post #17 of 20

Aundrea, your cakes are great! I think you'll do a great job!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #18 of 20

I actually have this posted in smaller print on my website. I am a licensed state approved home based bakery. This way there is no misunderstanding or confusion. I've had one bride question it but then she ordered. I've actually had several customers tell me that they like the fact I'm home based because the cake taste better and there is more attention to detail. This lady does sound like trouble from the start! I have a nephew with Cerebral Palsy and he is wheel chair bound so maybe her daughter is too. If she thought you were planning to meet at your house that may have been difficult. Or maybe she is just looking for a discount. Who knows..

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:09am
post #19 of 20

It is on my website that I work out of my licensed/insured home kitchen....

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #20 of 20

Oh.. well then.. maybe she was just thinking aloud! icon_biggrin.gif I wouldn't stress over it. Your cakes are awesome and if she decides not to go with you its her loss! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%