How Much Time Do I Have?

Decorating By BJ Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm by BJ

BJ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for my neices highschool for an auction. I want to make a cow sitting on top of the cake - molded out of rice krispy treat mix and covered with fondant. My schedule for the 5 days prior to delivery is just crazy! icon_eek.gif I was wondering how far in advance could I make the cow? Would the fondant kind of seal in some of the freshness? Do you think 1 weeks time is too long? Would it be rock hard if I did it that far in advance? I'm going to attempt to make a smaller version of Lambshack's "Cow in the Grass" cake (it is just the cutest cake!). Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
marion123 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 4

Morning.. Sorry, I don't know the answer, but your cakes are very lovely.. Where in CT are you? I'm in Fairifield Country.

myKzooKid Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 4

I just made a Clone Wars helmet out of RKT covered in fondant that I put on top of a cake for my niece. I molded and covered the helmet a full week ahead of time and it did not get rock hard. I was still able to easily insert a dowel before placing it on the cake. Whether it was still fresh enough to eat... I don't know because my niece has it on display under a glass vase and will never eat it. HTH.

BJ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the input. that gives me hope. Maybe I'll do a little research piece this weekend and see what it looks/tastes like within a weeks time. icon_rolleyes.gif I don't expect the people to eat the cow but just in case..... thumbs_up.gif
Marion - I'm up in Enfield. Thank you for the compliment. Yours are as well. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%