Initials On A Cake

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 12:11pm by brincess_b

MissCakeCrazy Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:23am
post #1 of 10

I need to put the bride and grooms initials on each tier of a wedding cake. I tried doing this with the funky alphabet cutter but it didn't look elegant enough. I am not confident with piping straight onto the fondant cake. What shall I do? Its a round cake.

9 replies
brincess_b Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:50am
post #2 of 10

pipe onto baking paper and let it dry. you can print out some cool fonts, and trace over them with the ri.
or, use the printed out fonts, and pin prick the outline onto the cake, and pipe.
xx

MissCakeCrazy Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:02am
post #3 of 10

What if I am too scared to pipe straight on to the cake? I am worried that the icing may break off half way and you'll see the break.

bashini Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:23am
post #4 of 10

Can't you hand model them? Mix sugarpaste with cmc or flowerpaste?

brincess_b Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:23am
post #5 of 10

then you would do the first method - once its dry you slide it carefully off the paper, then attatch with a bti of edible glue.
xx

MissCakeCrazy Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:35am
post #6 of 10

Like a runout where you fill the middle in? I think it will snap off of I just pipe the letter.

Bel_Anne Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:54am
post #7 of 10

I did initials on my last wedding cake (in photos - red, black,silver) and because i was concerned about it not being 'perfect'. What I did was made a little 'plaque' with a round circle cutter out of fondant with tylose... Then I 'engraved' the letters with a tooth pick and then painted them on with gel colour (black in my case) mixed with a touch of vodka . I let it dry laying over a rolling pin (so it would be slight bent and would sit flush on the cake) and stuck it on with piping gel. That way if you make a mistake you can just chuck that away and start again instead of ruining your whole cake. That way you can also do any style of lettering you like - helps if you type the letters out on the comp in the style you like and try to copy exactly. good luck icon_smile.gif

MissCakeCrazy Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:58am
post #8 of 10

So, did you paint free hand when you did the letters? Didn't it look messy?

Bel_Anne Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 10

You can have a look... it's in my pics. I don't think it was too bad! Haha. Except I put a little 'and' symbol in between that I didn't love. But was exhausted so left it.. haha. If you 'scratch' the letters on with a toothpick first THEN paint it's easier.. You have a guideline.

brincess_b Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:11pm
post #10 of 10

if you do the run out style, you always make spares - no matter how experienced or sure you are!

i also like bashinis idea, although again, make spares.

have a little confidence in your self! if plan a doesnt work, skip to plan b. its only you that will know it didnt go to plan!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%