Buttercream Help!

Baking By sweet-n-sassy Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 11:39pm by ras3

sweet-n-sassy Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:01am
post #1 of 10

i have tried several recipes for buttercream that have a cooked sugar syrup, and everytime i end up with a buttery soupy mess. I whip the whites, add the syrup and whip it until it's cool, it looks good and everything is fine until i add the butter. then it gets very liquidy and i keep whipping it but it never comes back up! what am i doing wrong?

9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #2 of 10

Are you cutting the butter into little pieces and SLOWLY adding them?

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #3 of 10

Keep beating it....it doesn't look like it now but it will happen and when it does you'll want to kiss the bowl!

I'll never forget the first time I tried making it and I thought it was a big gobbly mess, but eventually it did turn into beautiful butter cream.

sweet-n-sassy Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #4 of 10

yes i am cutting the butter into small peices and i add them in slowly. How long do i keep beating it, like 5 min or 20?, because i've beat it for a while hopeing it would finaly come together but it never did.

KoryAK Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:17am
post #5 of 10

Make sure you add the butter as fast as possible. Then try SMBC icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:28am
post #6 of 10

Beat atleast 15 mins icon_smile.gif

helen3743 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:52am
post #7 of 10

That's happened to me!

I figured out, at least with me, it was because my butter was too soft.

When I used butter that was more hard, but not completely, it solved the problem

sweet-n-sassy Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone! i used the IMBC recipe posted by Queequeg, except i used meringue powder instead of the egg whites and it truned out great. I think part of my problem before was not letting the butter come to room temp.

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 11:32pm
post #9 of 10

You can use cold butter. Lots of us do. Are you using a stand mixer or a hand-held mixer? If found that if using a hand-held mixer the best thing to do is to put the bowl of meringue in an ice water bath while beating it (after adding all the syrup) and while beating in the butter. This brings the buttercream together much faster.

ras3 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 10

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I switch from the whip attachment to the paddle attachment when I add my butter. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, it is possible to overwhip it as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%