Other Than Red Velvet - Purple & Green??

Baking By Nickilyn Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 7:47am by KitchenKat

Nickilyn Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone made maybe purple or green velvet cakes? If so, did you use liquid food color or paste colors? I know some of the dark paste colors give an after taste to frostings so should I expect the same in cake batter?

Oh and I am referencing those colors specifically because I am doing a Mardi Gras cake.

6 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:37am
post #2 of 7

No, but I don't see why not. You don't neccessarily have to follow the recipe for Red Velvet cake as well. You can easily color white cake batter. Don't know how to do attachments, but if you google Rainbow layer cake, you'll see cakes where each layer is a color of the rainbow. Sooo pretty.

KoryAK Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:16am
post #3 of 7

I've done it, use liqui-gel coloring, but I think anything would work. Just use your red velvet recipe and sub it out. If you want brighter, use a white recipe and just add in a paste type or sub liquid type for equal water (only if you need a lot). Red is the worst tasting of the colors IMO, so if you can't taste that, you won't be able to taste the others.

JanH Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:22am
post #4 of 7

..moving to Recipe Tips & Ideas. icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:13am
post #5 of 7

I've heard stories about Green Velvet cake.

I've heard it turns . . . . . stuff. . . . . green. icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

Could be a good prank if it's true.

tinygoose Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:28am
post #6 of 7

I've heard of blue velvet. Just sub using the liquid food color.

KitchenKat Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:47am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I've heard of blue velvet. Just sub using the liquid food color.

I wanted to try this for my son's soccer team because blue and white are their school colors. In the end I chickened out because I couldn't imagine how appealing a blue cake would be. To me blue foods (apart from blueberries) call to mind mold. Or maybe I'm just weird that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%