Thinking Of Changing My Standard Height?

Decorating By StaceyCakes75 Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 10:10pm by Tellis12

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:26am
post #1 of 12

I know the "standard" heights for each tier is 4" but does anyone have a standard height that is more like 4 1/2 or 5"? I just can't seem to get my cakes up to 4" Unless I fill the cake too much. I am using magic line 2" pans but once they cool they always shrink slightly and then when I cut the tops off they are always under 2". I'm thinking of going to 3 cakes for each tier instead of 2 which will make each tier over 4" . This will probably screw up my whole serving chart. Sorry I'm just trying to think this out. Any suggestions?

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #2 of 12

Torte the 2 layers so there is 3 layers of filling?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 12

I always end up between 4 1/2 - 5" for my tiers. I use magic line pans too, and torte each layer for 4 layers cake and 3 layers of filling.

I like a taller tier.

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 12

Thanks I think I have to start torting then. I agree dkelly I like a taller tier.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #5 of 12

i like a taller tier too...and i love cake, icing not so much. sooooo, i actually do three layers of cake (each layer is about 1 1/2 inches) and 2 layers of filling...they end up being about 5 - 5 1/2 inches in height. so i'm always baking 3 same sized pans at a time.

i might go to the other method of torting 2 layers to make 3 layers of filling, 4 layers of cake b/c i only have 2 pans of certain sizes, ya know?

no matter the height (as long as it's over 4 inches) i always follow the 1x2xheight rule for serving sizes.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:27am
post #6 of 12

I'm sorry, but maybe I'm not understanding this correctly... and I want to cause this is a question I have (mine end up shorter than 4")

If you torte 2 layers to make 4 layers, how does that give you over 4" when the 2" cakes were shorter than 2" after removing the top?

So you take 1/2 inch off the top of both cakes (leaving you now with 3" total) so that each layer is 1 1/2"... are you saying torte those to 3/4" and then add over a 1/4" of filling in between the layers? Cause that is the only way I can see to get that height back.

Even if you only took 1/4" off the top it still seems that there needs to be a lot of filling to make it up.

I'm at the point of thinking I need 3 cakes also. icon_sad.gif I'm soooooooo corn-fuzed!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:49am
post #7 of 12

It allows you to put a little more filling in without making your cake unstable, since it is spread out between the three filling layers and not all piled up in the one layer. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

I'm sorry, but maybe I'm not understanding this correctly... and I want to cause this is a question I have (mine end up shorter than 4")

If you torte 2 layers to make 4 layers, how does that give you over 4" when the 2" cakes were shorter than 2" after removing the top?

So you take 1/2 inch off the top of both cakes (leaving you now with 3" total) so that each layer is 1 1/2"... are you saying torte those to 3/4" and then add over a 1/4" of filling in between the layers? Cause that is the only way I can see to get that height back.

Even if you only took 1/4" off the top it still seems that there needs to be a lot of filling to make it up.

I'm at the point of thinking I need 3 cakes also. icon_sad.gif I'm soooooooo corn-fuzed!

Why would you end up with 1 1/2" layers after leveling? Don't your layers bake up either evenly or over the top of the pan?

My cakes before I torte them are 2" high.....I rarely have to level them because I bake from scratch and don't get the "dome", they bake up fairly even.

I build my tiers like this.....cake, filling, cake, icing, cake, filling, cake...so 4 layers of cake, 2 layers of filling and the middle layer is buttercream to stabilize the tier.

I know I do this different from others but I found that on the larger tiers when you serve the middle slices of cake, there wasn't enough icing, the outer slices have icing on the sides but the middle just had icing on top. So adding that middle layer of icing gives enough icing/filling for every slice of cake.

Hope I didn't just confuse you all! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #9 of 12

If your cakes aren't baking to 2", then it doesn't sound like you're filling the pans "too much". I level my cakes as soon as they come out of the oven, while they are still in the pan, using the edge of the pan as a guide. This gives me a perfectly flat 2" tall cake everytime.

I'd add more batter. Contrary to popular belief, it won't overflow ..... it will bake taller than the pan. Here's a pic: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-334013-higher.html

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:26am
post #10 of 12

Ok, tonight I baked a WASC, using the baking strips on my pans. The I followed the 2/3 full idea and the cake came to the edge of the pan. Of course when I take it out of the oven it's going to sink down as it shortens. I gues I need to just put more batter in my pans. I made chocolate 6" the other day and they did shoot out of the the top of the pan like yours indydebi... and they leveled really nice using the same technique of leveling in the pan. I have to let them cool though, because I've done that and had them shrink while cooling into the pan.

Ok. More batter... stop trying to conserve it. Phew... breathing... aligning my "chi" and applying. icon_smile.gif Thank you.

And dkelly that makes perfect sense how you do your torting and filling... I'm at the padawan level so I usually use all buttercream or ganache, but when I graduate to jedi I will use that technique because I completey agree... the people who get the inside pieces, only get a little icing.

This helps me immensely. Gotta keep telling myself... MORE BATTER.

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 12

Graduate to Jedi....too funny.

Hey I just had a thought. Leahs measured her 2" pans and they weren't quite 2" tall.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 12

I'm so glad you posted this. I frequently have this issue but recently realized that if I filled my pans more (duh) per Indydebi, I really do get a higher cake. I also realized that if I baked it a couple minutes longer than I was before it doesn't sink. I know both of those things are really obvious, but for some reason I'm just now catching on. I also have a couple pans that aren't 2" tall, like leahs. Why? No idea. But that certainly doesn't help me get a 2" tall layer.

dkelly, I like the way you construct your tier. That layer of bc in the middle makes a lot of sense. Thanks for mentioning it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%