Are Cake Boards Necessary?

Decorating By Osmilia Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm by cakebaker1957

Osmilia Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 12

Hi.
I made searches here and all over but haven't really found an answer so I'm asking here icon_wink.gif

I'm making a three-tier topsy turvy for my daughters birthday.
Is it absolutely necessary to use boards?
If not, how do I stack/support?

Thank you, in advance.
/Lena in Sweden

11 replies
leah_s Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 12

yes, boards are always necessary. How else would you be able to pick up the cake and move it around?

Osmilia Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 12

But I won't move it around... It will stay in the the place I stack it...
I mean the boards between tiers, if I was unclear... (english isn't my 1st language icon_confused.gif )

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 12

Absolutely not! You know we gotta save some trees!!!

And you know those cake boards in the middle don't take off ANY of the icing when you try to disassemble to serve.

I'm totally joking I hope you realize. Yes, Boards and dowels are crucial when you assemble any kind of stacked cake. Did you see the cake wobbling when our dear Sandra was icing and decorating it? Can you imagine trying to move that cake to another table? Disaster waiting to happen. I wonder how many disasters actually happened after this episode aired.

Suzycakes Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 12

Yes - you must use boards in between your cake tiers - especially a topsy turvy - or you will have a topsy turvy turnover. The boards must also be supported by dowel rods or posts of some type. Any time you go more than 2 layers high - you should/must use a cake board and a support system for that board.

Hope this helps . . .

Suze

greengyrl26 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 12

Yes, boards are necessary. You need the boards to sit on the dowels in the cake layer below...that's how the tiered cake weight is supported. Otherwise, you'd have one "smooshed" bottom layer! AND most likely have a cake topple/disaster on your hands!

pearlydi Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 12
tastyart Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 12

Yes, you need to have the boards (i use cardboard)between the layers for support. You place dowels beneath each tier to prevent the top tiers from crushing the lower ones. I hope that makes since.

Osmilia Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks, everyone. I'll make sure to use boards and dowels icon_biggrin.gif
I DO would like to save the trees, though icon_lol.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 12

to explain further, if you only put supports in each tier, the tier from above will start to sink into the tier below, impaling itself on the dowels. if you don't even put supports in and no boards, the whole thing will sink into and smash the bottom layer. So the answer is yes, you need both even if you are not moving it anywhere.

Rosa2745 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 12

Boards are not only for support but for the ease of icing as well. You frost each teir as if it were an individual cake. Then after measuring and cutting your dowels you can insert them into your cake and stack teirs.

cakebaker1957 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 12

Yes by all means use boards, Did you all see the episode on Food Network where one of the chef had to make a complete dinner and cake for a La Quinceanera, and he didnt use boards, and he put the fondant on the cakes and it started to sweat and mash down ,and he had to move it i really didnt think it would make it. But it did really pretty cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%