How Many Cakes Per Week Do You Make?

Decorating By lea74 Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 2:03am by Kiddiekakes

lea74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lea74 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 13

I was wondering how many cakes a week do you guys make on average. I'm just starting out and things are going kind of slow for me ( everybody is looking for cheaper cakes....) The most I had was four; this weekend I only have 2 cakes to do.
Also when you have more orders how do you keep yourself "organized" so you don't get behind?

12 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 13

Whew! I won't take more than 1 or two, period. I spend a lot of time on each creation, and what I charge for one of mine is what a lot of people would get after 3 or 4 cakes...so the stress level is low, I make bank, and I get time to..........

do nothing. icon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 13

Lea, ya got some fabulous cakes, btw. Hope you're making bank too and not knocking yourself out! icon_wink.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 13

Um, I make about a cake a month. Sometimes two. Unless I'm expirementing with new recipes (which I will be doing more of shortly, taking a break right now after all the holiday baking), then it's a cake or more a day, but those aren't decorated. Heck, some of those go straight in the trash!

I used to do upwards of 40 a day, though (worked in Publix bakery).

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 13

usually 3 or 4 a week

lea74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lea74 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you Jamie! I'm trying to make the bank icon_wink.gif but sometimes I'm kind of disapointed with people asking for quotes and ending up with someone who's cheaper than me. I don't want to lower my prices I know how much time and effort I put into each and every single cake.

_Jamie_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lea74

Thank you Jamie! I'm trying to make the bank icon_wink.gif but sometimes I'm kind of disapointed with people asking for quotes and ending up with someone who's cheaper than me. I don't want to lower my prices I know how much time and effort I put into each and every single cake.

Eh, for every 5 people that ask me for a quote, I bag one or two. Good enough! BIG Walmart mentality out in these parts. BIG. We have 3 super walmarts in this town. Gah! I decided I am not going to knock myself out for pennies, it just ain't happening. I would make dummies once a week to keep my portfolio updated if that's what it took. I'll create art for free....for myself. For anyone else, eh-eh. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 13

I'm like you Jamie... I only take on 2 per week tops. BUT... I can make good money off of those 2 cakes and I have a licensed home business so my overhead is low and I can have that limit and not risk losing my biz. January was a cake free month and that's cool by me (I needed it really). I did 4 weddings in a weekend back in October and it near killed me. Took 2 full days to bake it all and I didn't sleep for 3 days decorating them. NEVER again when I am by myself... maybe when I get bigger and have employees an all... icon_wink.gif. Smaller cakes is different. I could handle 4 small (ie. single tiered) b-day cakes in a weekend... but most of my biz is weddings. So I have the limit... 2 weddings per weekend... final answer.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 13

Its kinda slow right now...a cake a week, maybe two. In the summer maybe 3-5 per week. Usually 3D or two tiered party cakes, occasional weddings.

I'm with those who charge more and make less...I probably would be super busy if I had cheaper prices but I don't have time to take on a ton of orders for less money so I charge more and bake less...I guess.

I'd like to up my prices just a tad more yet but I have to "stabilize" some before I attempt that...and get some more customers.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 13

about .25 to .15

icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 13

Wal-mart cakes are pretty much the most disgusting things purporting to be cake ever. I ALWAYS check to make sure a cake is NOT Wal-mart if I'm at a party where I didn't supply the cake. Actually, to be honest, Publix's is the ONLY grocery store cake I'll eat.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:36am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Wal-mart cakes are pretty much the most disgusting things purporting to be cake ever. I ALWAYS check to make sure a cake is NOT Wal-mart if I'm at a party where I didn't supply the cake. Actually, to be honest, Publix's is the ONLY grocery store cake I'll eat.

Well... la di da.

icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:03am
post #13 of 13

I do 6-7 cakes a weekend..all year round.I am already booked for Feb and part of March.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%