Mff Problem

Baking By rcolson13 Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 1:58pm by crazydoglady

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 16

I currently use MMF, but it still doesn't taste very good. I REALLY want to try making MFF because of all the good things I have heard about it. Unfortunately, I do not have $200 to buy a good standing mixer yet and the recipe uses a dough hook. Has anyone tried making MFF with a hand mixer? Is there any way to make it without a standing mixer?

Thanks you CC!

15 replies
crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 16

it is very dense and gives the dough hook a work out. i think a hand-held would break.
you could try doing by hand but would need considerable muscle to do it.
if you tried doing it manually you could try making a small batch and see how it goes.
good luck with mff - it's tasty and has a nice texture!

Noey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noey Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 16

Have you tried this recipe for MMF?

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation

I used to make MFF until I got tired of it taking so long and so many ingredients. I just make cakes for friends and family so my time is not compensated icon_wink.gif Mac's Mom's recipe is amazing. It tastes good and is really simple. I seriously was going to give up on fondant altogether until I found this recipe.

Good luck!

crazydoglady Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 16

noey - i've only made mmf once and it worked very well for making animal figures. how is it to roll flat compared to mff?
tia

Noey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noey Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 16

The texture is different than MFF. When I first made it and went to roll it out I thought it would be too thick, but I just kept going and it rolled beautifully! It can actually be rolled quite thin and to me it seems the marshmallow gives it more elasticity so it doesn't tear as easily.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 16

noey, I want to try MacsMom's recipe...but I don't have popcorn salt. Can I use regular table salt? Or sea salt?

crazydoglady Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 16

i was just at the store and didn't see anything labeled "popcorn" salt. i too am wondering if a fine grain salt is o.k.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 16

I don't know about MFF with a hand mixer... but it's not a good idea with MMF. I say that from experience, before I got my KA I tried (even though I do my MMF by hand now still).

You can get some clear extracts and flavor the MMF. I've use cherry, vanilla, cinammon and banana.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 16

I would definitely not do MFF with a hand mixer, or by hand. I would try the suggestions for the other recipe, maybe test out different flavorings. I think some people just don't like the "flavor" of marshmallow. Maybe add some butter flavor? more vanilla? other flavors you like?

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 16

The most common I do run into is they don't like the texture. The last cake I made, a guy told me "Bleh... it was.. bleh. What did you cover it in? Bubblegum? Felt like bubblegum... but, what the heck.. it's a kids cake and the kids seemed to like it"

Yeah, people are usually 50/50. If they don't like the texture it doesn't matter what flavor or recipe you switch to..

But if it is the taste (which you said yourself, you don't like the taste) I'd just try the extracts.

pookie40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookie40 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 16

I use a very easy recipe and everyone loves the taste and you don't need a mixer.
16 oz mini marshmellows
2 to 5 tbsp water
2 pounds C&H conf. sugar
1/2 cup crisco

Grease a large bowl with crisco and add marshmellows and water. ( I forgot the water one time and didn't work and had to start all over) Put in microwave for 30 seconds and stir, continue doing this until melted. Then add 3/4 of the conf sugar. Put ALOT of crisco on your hands and mix. Then grease counter and add the rest of the conf. sugar and knead all together. If you need to can add more water. After kneading, wrap in plastic wrap. If you want to make it chocolate, add 1 oz top quality chocolate, melted. and 1 tbsp cocoa powder.

This is the only fondant I have used to cover cakes, except Wilton and nobody will eat that! This one is very quick and easy to do. Hope this helps.

crazydoglady Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 16

pookie40 - that is the first fondant recipe i tried and it was great for making 3D figures (i didn't cover a cake with it). you are absolutely right about using lots of crisco on your hands - i would only add that you should have a glob of crisco nearby as well so you can regrease - this stuff is so sticky!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 12:07am
post #13 of 16

You actually don't have to use a mixer at all. I just recently stopped using it and it is fine without it!!!. I use a big bowl and make a well in the center and stir it in with a spatula until it is too hard to do by hand and then I pour it out on some powdered sugar and knead and keep adding ps until it's not sticky anymore.

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #14 of 16

Pookie: I pretty much use that exact recipe for my MMF and I love how easy it is to use. I'm just not sure if people will like it enough to cover a cake in it. I'll try adding chocolate and see how it tastes

Cakeandpartygirl: Thanks! I'm going to try it out without the KA by hand then. I'm excited to see if it tastes as good as everyone says it does

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:29am
post #15 of 16

I think a lot of people don't like the texture.

I still love using fondant anyways.

crazydoglady Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:58pm
post #16 of 16

i agree about the texture.
i put on a layer of buttercream or ganache and keep the fondant as thin as possible so that those who don't like fondant still have a frosted piece of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%