Using Cake Mixes From Boxes

Decorating By SallyBratt Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 2:03am by JanH

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:24am
post #241 of 282

good grief !!! you girls are killing me.. my sides hurt..my voice is all scratchy..from laughing.. my husband is hollering from the other room that he cant hear the tv...i really love this site..

my two cents.. on the original topic.. a penny for each word... Who Cares... which kind.. as long as it tastes great and the client loves it... i make both... they both go to the taste testing..and I try not to think.. ill...mean tempered thought about duncan hines..when they usually pick that cake over mine !!!
icon_biggrin.gif

SallyBratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SallyBratt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:46am
post #242 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyBratt

Are you an actual pastry chef then?

Well, I've never been to culinary school and the only job I've had in the biz is as a grocery store decorator...so techinically, no I don't qualify for a toque. But, I have been cooking, baking and decorating for 24 years. icon_biggrin.gif I do a lot of online researching and a lot of experimenting. Plus, if there's a cooking/baking gene, I have it. My mom used to make everything from scratch, including grinding her own wheat into flour and making the peanut butter we put on the bread she baked with it and my great-grandmother owned a confectionary in Pittsburgh.

My dream is to one day own a cafe/bistro and patisserie.

And to beat Bobby Flay in a carrot cake throw-down.

I love Bobby Flay.

I would also love to become a pastry chef. I mean, what could be better than creating desserts all day?? Eating them, I guess.

I think I already said this in here, maybe not, but I'm going to look into the pastry chef course and see how much time and money is involved. I'm no spring chicken and this cake gig is actually a big career change for me (if all goes as planned). I'm just not sure I want to go back to school again even tho I would really love to learn the trade/art.

I am going to be doing some apprenticing at my school tho so I'll learn a lot more there.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:01am
post #243 of 282
Quote:

but are you telling clients that you're using boxed mixes?

I'm speaking from a consumer point of view and I think, no, I know if I were ordering a cake from someone I would expect the cake to be made from scratch. To me the flavour is just as important as the decoration. I don't think that boxed cakes would use natural flavours or premium ingredients like Lindt chocolate.

If anyone wants some tried and true scratch recipes that are really easy to make I have some. Vanilla, chocolate and almond (to die for!)

I'd sure be interested in your recipes, especially the vanilla and almond. YUM!!

I bake from scratch and mixes. I almost never use a mix straight anymore, even for cupcakes, because there's so much I can do with extenders. I don't feel compelled to bring up scratch or mix with my customers because I don't feel it's important. If someone asks I'll tell them, but it's only come up a couple of times over the years I've been making cakes and it didn't seem to matter to the customer after they inquired. What really gets my customers is trying to figure out a certain taste in my white cakes. I've had people track down my dd trying to find out what it is. She just smiles and says "oh that's her secret ingredient, and I can't tell." Usually you see them walking around with a second piece. THAT'S what it's all about to me. Making something crazy good that they can't put down and can't figure out. And it helps if it's really pretty too!!

CarolAnn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:02am
post #244 of 282

You can post your recipes in the thread too, and they'll show right up.
hint hint............... Ü Ü Ü

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:07am
post #245 of 282

carol ann .. she did post her butter.. almond and chocolate here in this post.. maybe 3rd page.. i think she did under recipes also.. but , again. they are on this thread..

SallyBratt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:08am
post #246 of 282

I already have icon_smile.gif You just have to go back thru the pages to find them.

CarolAnn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:22am
post #247 of 282
Quote:

Sorry to be an annoyance to some but I didn't think I was doing anything wrong.

Nah, you didn't do anything wrong. I've posted questions myself without surfing to see if it's already been asked and beaten into the ground. Anyone who is annoyed can easily ignore a question and look to the next. It's easy. Now, about those recipes!!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:23am
post #248 of 282

You know SallyBratt I've seen your cakes somewhere, Flickr maybe?
I recognize the cat one, it's bugging me because I can't remember where I saw it.
I'm pretty sure it was'nt here on CC.

SallyBratt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:30am
post #249 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

You know SallyBratt I've seen your cakes somewhere, Flickr maybe?
I recognize the cat one, it's bugging me because I can't remember where I saw it.
I'm pretty sure it was'nt here on CC.

Likely Flickr. I've posted to some cake groups on there. I have my own group on FB too (House of the Rising Cake) and all my pix are posted there as well.

Carol Ann...as icer and I alreayd said, they're posted in the thread. Can you please do a lil search for them as I don't want to repost them? Thanks hun.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:39am
post #250 of 282

It must have been Flickr, you're probably in my contacts and I did'nt even know it...lol
I'll look u up on FB.

CarolAnn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:55am
post #251 of 282
Quote:

Carol Ann...as icer and I alreayd said, they're posted in the thread. Can you please do a lil search for them as I don't want to repost them? Thanks hun.

I've already found them, thanks!!!

CarolAnn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:00am
post #252 of 282

[/quote]

So does this mean that people with hip replacements are no longer "from scratch" since they now contain "artificial ingredients"? icon_lol.gif[/quote]

So does that mean that someone with breast implants....... oh never mind, I'm going to bed. Nite!! Ü

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:08am
post #253 of 282

LMAO...

Does it make me a hypocrite if I want to doctor my body a little?? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

SallyBratt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:40am
post #254 of 282

I know, as far as my body's concerned, I'd like to start over...from scratch!

Badum CHISH

icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:18am
post #255 of 282

What about those of us who are missing body parts? icon_evil.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:26am
post #256 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

What about those of us who are missing body parts? icon_evil.gif

Yes this post has gone from idiotic too ignorant lol

Your cake pics look real nice, and I bet they taste yummy as well. Keep up the good work!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:28am
post #257 of 282

Anyone needing any boobage, I can offer some nice material!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:35pm
post #258 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Anyone needing any boobage, I can offer some nice material!

Wow, I'm offline for the night and it's come to boob donations! icon_lol.gif Who wants to make bets on when this will get either shut down or moved to the lounge?

SallyBratt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #259 of 282

I could build you new ones out of gumpaste. I'm pretty good at sculpting.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #260 of 282

I know I'm an abberration, but I hate coffee. Many of chocolate recipes (including yours, SallyBratt. By the way, thanks for the great looking recipes.) include coffee in the recipe and sometimes quite a lot. I know I can just leave out coffee granules, but a cup or two of liquid coffee???? How do I compensate? Do you actually taste the coffee in the cake? Would I tatse it because I'm so sensitive to it? Help!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #261 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSlady

I know I'm an abberration, but I hate coffee. Many of chocolate recipes (including yours, SallyBratt. By the way, thanks for the great looking recipes.) include coffee in the recipe and sometimes quite a lot. I know I can just leave out coffee granules, but a cup or two of liquid coffee???? How do I compensate? Do you actually taste the coffee in the cake? Would I tatse it because I'm so sensitive to it? Help!

God no don't leave it out. No, you won't taste coffee flavor, but what you will taste is an even darker richer chocolate flavor.

Coffee enhances the chocolate, it doesn't overpower it.

I use brewed coffee only, never instant. When I make my "cake coffee" I use double the amount of coffee granules that I normally would.

The stronger the better!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:40pm
post #262 of 282

Oh the coffee does wonders....it really makes a chocolate cake come to life!

SallyBratt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:45pm
post #263 of 282

I agree. That recipe I posted is a very dark rich moist chocolate cake. I love it. And even tho I also love coffee I can't taste it in the finished product at all. There's not really that much in that recipe tho.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:01pm
post #264 of 282

I would never have thought about asking if a bakery or cake decorator used a mix or baked by scratch until I found this site. How many have actually ever been asked that? Do all scratch bakers make their own fondant? Which recipes do you use if so. The premium ingredients cracks me up though reminds of salons that advertise they offer precise hair cuts. It's all good cakers which ever is your preference.

SallyBratt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:46pm
post #265 of 282

sigh

*yawn*

wow...I'm a newbie and the one that started it and I'm even tired of this discussion now!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm
post #266 of 282

FACSlady - You can try one leaving the coffee out, but you must still include the liquid or it will mess up the recipe.
I'd probably try the recipe, divide it in half, and add the coffee to one half only.
That way it can be tested directly against itself.

Deb_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #267 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by galliesway

I would never have thought about asking if a bakery or cake decorator used a mix or baked by scratch until I found this site. How many have actually ever been asked that? Do all scratch bakers make their own fondant? Which recipes do you use if so. The premium ingredients cracks me up though reminds of salons that advertise they offer precise hair cuts. It's all good cakers which ever is your preference.

Why does that "crack you up"? Are you saying that there is no such thing or that it doesn't matter?

Chocolate is a great example....there's Hershey and then there are the premium chocolates i.e. Lindt, Godiva, Hachez, Galler etc.

HUGE difference in taste and price on those.

Oh and the "hair cut" thing....There is such a thing and method of hair cutting called Precision hair cutting where the hair is cut using geometric angles and can be worn in many different styles because no matter how you check the cut it's perfectly "precision" to every angle. ALWAYS be sure you are getting a precision cut, because I guarantee you that your hair will never be easier to style. Not every stylist is trained in precision cutting.

Just so you know!

icon_wink.gif

Oh and every one of my clients speaks to me about the fact that I am a scratch baker....every one of them!

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:14pm
post #268 of 282

galliesway's comment on the "premium" ingredients like the hairstylists that offer "precise" cuts cracked me up!!! Ridiculous! LOLOL

Deb_ Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #269 of 282

Been a hairstylist since 1982 and a salon owner since 1995, in case you're wondering how I know so much.

Any other q's about hair, skin, nails etc? icon_biggrin.gif

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #270 of 282

I just finished reading all 18 pages icon_surprised.gif and I had to add.

I LOVE CAKE! icon_lol.gif I bake both scratch recipes and recipes that start from a mix and I love both. I have a scratch hazelnut recipe I use that I love and the Chocolate Stout cake (scratch recipe) is really tasty, actually this one is my hubbys favorite (probably because it has GUINNESS in it). And I just love the WASC recipe which starts from a mix (this is my SIL'S favorite). I absolutely have no preference. HAHA!

I also have made homemade bread and homemade biscuits and I also sometimes buy the Pillsbury brand bread and biscuit doughs that you just have to bake. And I love both versions of these too.

Lets see...oh I love homemade pizza but also love Pizza Hut & Papa John's (don't like Domino's though).

Never had homemade peanut butter but I absolutely love store bought peanut butter...oh JIF how do you do it?? icon_rolleyes.gif

There! I think that about covers it. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited to add:
Oh, there is one thing I do prefer "scratch"...although I do love campbells chicken noodle soup (the kind that is not condensed) nothing beats a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. YUM![/b]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%