Poured Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By cubbymom01 Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 3:40am by Jopalis

cubbymom01 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 19

I am making a birthday cake for my daughter with a brown and pink theme. I would love to cover the cake with a poured ganache. Does anyone have advice on the best way to accomplish this? Should I put a crumb coat of some sort on it? Should the cake be room temp or frozen? What temp should the ganache be? Thanks for the help! Anna

18 replies
bashini Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 19

Hi, its better if you do a crumbcoat so it will look nice and smooth. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

http://daisylanecakes.blogspot.com/search/label/ganache

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 19

the key to getting smooth ganache is smooth bc. the ganache will only be as smooth as the bc

cubbymom01 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 19

Would you use the crusting butter cream and the viva method?

cubbymom01 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks for the help, the site you attached was super helpful.

bashini Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 19

You are welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

mirda6275 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 19

I have never used the viva papertowel becuase to my understanding ganache isn't crusting. I have very successfully used the hot spatula method (run a spatula under hot water, wipe dry, then smooth against the cake). Works beautifully, even when I haven't done a crumb coat under the ganache.

icer101 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 19

the ones i have done... not many.. i covered with chocolate american buttercream first. used viva to make smooth. then sat cake on a cooling rack... over a pan.. then make your ganache. when ready.. start in the middle and pour toward edge.. at least .. that is the instrucions i went by.. i am sure there are other ways.. the ones i have done. turned out very nice.. hth

msnrozier Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #9 of 19

m1m Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:31am
post #10 of 19

Wow that is a good tutorial.

Thanks.

icer101 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:00am
post #11 of 19

hi, i couldn,t understand what....msnrozier...was trying to tell cubbymom01 ... i thought we all were trying to help her on her ganache question.. she comes in with just some periods.. if you see this again... msnrozier... could you explain... i do use this when i post... could it have been that? would like to know, please...

msnrozier Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:38am
post #12 of 19

umm, i put the dots to keep in my forum posts!! this is how i keep track of GOOD posts, instead of searching or asking in a new thread!!!!! thats it!!!!!!!!!!!

cubbymom01 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #13 of 19

Thanks for all the help. I followed the tutorial posted by bashini. It worked out well. I was pleased with the final result. I also think I have a good idea of how to do it better next time. Again thanks a bunch!

msnrozier Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:50am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbymom01

Thanks for all the help. I followed the tutorial posted by bashini. It worked out well. I was pleased with the final result. I also think I have a good idea of how to do it better next time. Again thanks a bunch!

and I will be following the tutorial as well when I decide to make a cake like this!!
This was a good question, hope YOU didn't take offense to the dots, but I did explain why I put them there!!

I had NO anwer for you but wanted to keep this GOOD post!!

Jopalis Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #15 of 19

Have cake at room temp...not hot or cold. Cold won't let it flow. I find that I need to use the ganache very shortly after i remove it from the heat or it won't flow. Put cake on a rack over a plate so you can catch the drippings. Just start in the middle of the cake and do like circles while pouring. I only use the ganache on CC from chef Taz. It works great. I do not add the sugar as stated in the recipe. It doesn't need it. The bit of butter is good though.... I used to use other recipes til I tried that one. Also if you want...you can keep leftover ganache...let it get cool and pipe with it. I didn't whip mine either. I have a cake on my pics with gold star transfer sheets... It's a 3 layer ganache. BTW...If you get an area you aren't happy with.... use the hair dryer on hot on it. low fan and be careful. do it gently from a little further away.

msnrozier Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

Have cake at room temp...not hot or cold. Cold won't let it flow. I find that I need to use the ganache very shortly after i remove it from the heat or it won't flow. Put cake on a rack over a plate so you can catch the drippings. Just start in the middle of the cake and do like circles while pouring. I only use the ganache on CC from chef Taz. It works great. I do not add the sugar as stated in the recipe. It doesn't need it. The bit of butter is good though.... I used to use other recipes til I tried that one. Also if you want...you can keep leftover ganache...let it get cool and pipe with it. I didn't whip mine either. I have a cake on my pics with gold star transfer sheets... It's a 3 layer ganache. BTW...If you get an area you aren't happy with.... use the hair dryer on hot on it. low fan and be careful. do it gently from a little further away.

the part that drips down, can you pour it back in the pot and reuse?

Wesha Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:19am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnrozier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

the part that drips down, can you pour it back in the pot and reuse?

Yes, you can reuse the ganache that drips down.

SweettoothSammi Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:32am
post #18 of 19

Is this the same kind of ganache that the Aussies use under their fondant? I have the Topsy Turvy tutorial dvd by Sharon Zambito and she uses a chocolate ganache made with chocolate chips and whipping cream. The only thing is that you have to spread it on. It has to be a peanut butter consistency. If you can pour the ganache on first, that would be way easier. But it would need to dry fairly hard to support the fondant. I love the ganache under the fondant better than the buttercream it's sooo much easier! But if there's an even easier way, I'm all for it!!!

Jopalis Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:40am
post #19 of 19

You can re-use the ganache if it is clean and free of crumbs... Otherwise it will clog your tip or if you heat and re-use on cake...it will have lumps. No need for any crumb coat underneath. I have never done it. It may melt anyway and make a mess if you use the ganache as warm as I do. Not sure though. Just use a pastry brush and try to make your cake as crumb free as possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%