Candy Clay For Baseball Cap Brim?

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 6:46am by kitty122000

kitty122000 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making my first baseball cap this weekend. I ran out of gumapste last weekend and the only access I have to any is online or wilton's at my local walmart, the ONLY bag they have left in stock is already halfway hard and I'd rather not spend the $8.50 on it when I wont be able to use it all! Do you think I could use candy clay or would it stay too soft? I'll also be making a baseball and a baseball bat and was thinkinkg of trying this method, http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=623004&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0 maybe I could use the same for the brim of the hat and them cover in mmf? any opinions would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

2 replies
mrsmudrash Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:00am
post #2 of 3

I would use candy clay! I took a real b-ball hat, put wax paper over the top of the bill, traced out the size of the bill, cut out the template and cut out the modeling chocolate with the template. Then, put the piece of wax paper back on the b-ball cap, put on the modeling chocolate and throw it in the fridge. It'll set right up nice and hard! Then, attach to your cake after an hour or so with some a few pieces of chocolate left over from making the clay so the color matches...easy peeesy! icon_smile.gif

kitty122000 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:46am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the reply! I ended up getting Walmart to discount the half-dried up gumpaste and tried making it out of that. But it cracked! So I covered it in candy clay and was SO happy with how it turned out! The candy clay holds red MUCH better than the gumpaste too! check it out in my pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%