Dummy Cakes

Decorating By cgm_cakes Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 3:18am by Superbecky79

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 16

I want to practice some wedding cake designs but have never used a fake cake before. Do I cover the styrofoam with a crusting buttercream then apply the fondant (just like it was a real cake)?

Sorry if this is a simplistically stupid question, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks. icon_redface.gif

15 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 16

Hi there, you can apply shortening, piping gel or water on the dummy and cover it with fondant. icon_smile.gif

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 16

If you're covering with fondant, you don't have to put buttercream under it first, UNLESS you just want to practice. Otherwise you can just spray it with a water bottle or apply a thin layer of piping gel, and the fondant will stick.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 16

Yep, I'm working on some practice dummy cakes right now. Just lightly wet the styrofoam & apply your fondant. Works like a charm. icon_wink.gif

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 16

Also you might want to lightly sand down the edges of the dummy.... normally the dummies come with sharp edges... this can cause the fondant to tear.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 16

Great suggestion, Erica. I've had it happen to me at the worst possible time -- when the dummy was the bottom layer for a birthday cake. Thanx.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 16

There are two kinds of dummies. One is sharp edged dummies like CiNoRi mentioned above which are used for royal icing and the other one is round edged dummies which are for fondant. icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

There are two kinds of dummies. One is sharp edged dummies like CiNoRi mentioned above which are used for royal icing and the other one is round edged dummies which are for fondant. icon_smile.gif

Yes. Mine are rounded edges, and I've never had a problem with my fondant tearing. I think I ordered them from Taylor Foam? Maybe? My husband is the R&D in our operation, so maybe he got them from somewhere else...

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 16

Glad to see this. I never used a dummy before, but guess what! I am expecting my first ones in the mail and I got the rounded edges too the sharp ones didn't look good to me. I was thinking shortening under fondant, but never knew water spray works as well?!?! How cool! Thanks!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 16

If you have straight edged dummies and want to use them with fondant, just take a fondant rolling pin and rub the edges down, this will take the sharp edge off of it for use with fondant

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 16

I use the sharp edged ones for fondant. Since my fondant cakes all have sharp edges I want the dummies to have the same. Just roll the sharp edge on the counter or buff it slighly with a fresh emory board. icon_smile.gif

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I'm going to practise this weekend. I never even thought of the sharp edges. Great advice as usual!

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:36am
post #13 of 16

Ahhh...cake dummies, the bain of my existence! lol

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:46am
post #14 of 16

Ahhh...cake dummies, the bain of my existence! lol

gmorriello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmorriello Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:13am
post #15 of 16

What great tips! I just did my first dummy cake and used the Wilton crisco frosting (so no spoiling) underneath. Who would have though spray with water bottle.....I can't wait to try it!

Superbecky79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superbecky79 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #16 of 16

How smooth are dummy cakes? How do you clean them?

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%