Curious About Bakeries And Pound Cake

Business By Kitagrl Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 4

Had a tasting the other day...couple is really budget shopping and I still haven't gotten a committment from them...I guess what they are wanting, they did not budget for. They've tasted with quite a few bakeries and still unable to make a decision.

Anyway....

A curious question..... they said alot of the bakeries they went with said they only do pound cake for tiered cakes for stability's sake. Why would that be? I would think with proper stability you could use any cake. Do you suppose they do not use boards and dowels between tiers?

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 4

I think it's a philly/ South Jersey thing seriously!! I got married in S. Jersey and we went to this guy (said he was a 'master baker") only offered vanilla pound cake and vanilla buttercream. We paid $8.00/serv. and had NO choice of flavors. He didn't even suggest it was for stability, he just said.......this is all we offer and this is standard around here! I didn't care anyhow, I was like......ok, (pointed at a pic in the book) and said " I'll take that one" Basically I picked the cheapest cake (my MIL was paying for it and I felt terrible having her spend so much money on "just cake" lol)

fast forward 6 yrs. and look what I do for a living! lol

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 4

I wonder if they are using true pound cake or not? True pound cake contains only eggs, butter, sugar, and flour. It *can* include extract. If they add any milk or cream to the batter, it's really a butter cake, which is the main type of cake I make, except where sponge/genoise is needed for some of the traditional European cakes I make.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 4

I didn't know that pound cake vs. butter cake thing. Hmm guess mine is really "butter cake" then! haha.

I don't particularly care for it myself...I think its too heavy and rich...I like it with fresh fruit but not really a whole slice of cake with frosting.

Anyway I was just curious because she had asked me if any of my flavors would be available for tiers and I must have looked at them funny because she went on to explain why she asked. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%