How Can I Incorporate More Flavor?

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 1:25pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 13

Hello , i was asked to do a sheet cake( yeah i know im beginning to understand why no on likes them) for a baby shower, She wants strawberry, well if it was a round or square deal or something i could make my strawberry filling with real strawberries and put it in the middle , but since its a sheet cake, what else can i do , I thought about something i could squirt inside of the cake?? But i dont know how the BC with strawberrys would do. Thanks hope some one can help me.

12 replies
KHalstead Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 13

does she want the cake strawberry flavored? or does she want strawberry filling?? What's stopping you from cutting the sheet cake in 2 layers and filling in between.....I do it all the time??

Also, something my customers LOVE is take the strawberry sleeve filling and after the cake is about half way done baking, squirt a ribbon of the sleeve filling in a zig zag all over the top of the cake.

you'll notice it slightly starting to sink as you push the cake back in the oven (I don't take the cake out of the oven, just open the door, pull the rack out so I can get to it and squirt and put back so the cake doesn't deflate)

the weirdest thing is that when you cut into the cake it's a ribbon of the filling all through it, almost like it was injected! really cool

cakebaker1957 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

does she want the cake strawberry flavored? or does she want strawberry filling?? What's stopping you from cutting the sheet cake in 2 layers and filling in between.....I do it all the time??

Also, something my customers LOVE is take the strawberry sleeve filling and after the cake is about half way done baking, squirt a ribbon of the sleeve filling in a zig zag all over the top of the cake.

you'll notice it slightly starting to sink as you push the cake back in the oven (I don't take the cake out of the oven, just open the door, pull the rack out so I can get to it and squirt and put back so the cake doesn't deflate)

the weirdest thing is that when you cut into the cake it's a ribbon of the filling all through it, almost like it was injected! really cool

Wow, she just wanted it to be flavored but i thought if i could add strawberries with out to much fuss, then i would, I just dont think the boxed cake mix really taste strawberrie,

newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 13

I torte sheet cakes all the time with no problems. Simply cut the cake horizontally like you would a round or square, then slide a sheet pan (one without a lip on it) under the top layer so it doesn't break when you remove it. Fill your cake, then put the top layer back on using the sheet pan to gently slide it back into place.

Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 13

That's really a great idea, Khalstead!!!

Do you order your sleeves online?

cakebaker1957 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I torte sheet cakes all the time with no problems. Simply cut the cake horizontally like you would a round or square, then slide a sheet pan (one without a lip on it) under the top layer so it doesn't break when you remove it. Fill your cake, then put the top layer back on using the sheet pan to gently slide it back into place.

Thank You will have to invest in the sheet pan , some times i dont get it back quit right sitting on the other cake, have to squish and move it around a lot(:

KHalstead Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

nah, I just get them at my local party supply store........I'm thinking they orer them from CK though.

OP if you want a nice intense strawberry flavor, try adding a box of strawberry jello to your white cake batter........sooooooo good......although it does come out kinda hot pink! lol

cakebaker1957 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

nah, I just get them at my local party supply store........I'm thinking they orer them from CK though.

OP if you want a nice intense strawberry flavor, try adding a box of strawberry jello to your white cake batter........sooooooo good......although it does come out kinda hot pink! lol

Does it taste tart or is it sweet?? do you add it in at the last go around when mixing it or can you just stir it in with a wooden spoon??

prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 13

I don't do "sheet cakes", being that my rectangular cakes are 2 layer and 4" high, just like all the other cakes. One of the main reasons is so I can put fillings in the cake. Sometimes it is as simple as chocolate BC filling w/ vanilla BC used to ice and decorate the cake. I also prefer the look of the 4" height. 2" high cakes just seem so skimpy.

PS- forgot to mention: you can add minced fresh (or thawed from frozen) strawberries to the box mix. A scratch strawberry cake isn't one I've developed yet, so when my DH wanted a strawberry cake for his last birthday, I doctored up a mix by adding a heaping cup of minced fresh strawberries to the batter.

cakeaddictunite Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 13

this is the recipe i use and i get raves everytime pluss never any left over! It takes a bit longer to bake as the real strawberries have more moisture and i always add some coloring to it to make it more pink.
http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/?p=1088

cakeaddictunite Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 13

this is the recipe i use and i get raves everytime pluss never any left over! It takes a bit longer to bake as the real strawberries have more moisture and i always add some coloring to it to make it more pink.
http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/?p=1088

KHalstead Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 13

I add it in with all of my dry ingredients........it's not tart at all, just a really strong strawberry flavor and a bright pink color to the batter....it's actually my favorite strawberry cake because the flavor is so nice and it's super moist!

cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:25pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:

I add it in with all of my dry ingredients........it's not tart at all, just a really strong strawberry flavor and a bright pink color to the batter....it's actually my favorite strawberry cake because the flavor is so nice and it's super moist!

Thank you, i will give it a trial run this weekend,(:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%