Premade Fondant Vs Homemade Fondant

Decorating By careylynn Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 2:57pm by LEHLA

careylynn Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 14

I had a horrible time with satin ice fondant on my first cake last week. It cracked at the edges and actually was cracking and getting that "elephant skin" look just by rolling it out. I tried a combination of ps and shortening. Didn't help at all. After looking up some posts on fondant and cracking, I noticed a trend. People have complained that satin ice is difficult to work with.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to premade fondant and mmf? Is mmf difficult or time consuming to make? Is there a better premade fondant that satin ice? I have also seen some people only use shortening to roll out, or use a thick vinyl mat. Which is better?

I am doing my second cake next week and would love to get some advice. Oh, and any suggestions on a good rolling pin? I am buying one this weekend. Thanks!!

13 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 14

I use Satin Ice and only Satin Ice - never had that problem. Are you rolling it too thin? That could be the problem.

careylynn Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 14

no, if anything not thin enough, that is why i am getting a better and longer rolling pin. How do you roll your out? ps or shortening? do u use a mat of any kind?

tastyart Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 14

If I am covering a small cake, I roll out on corn starch. If I am covering a large cake, I roll out on a vinyl mat that is lightly greased with shortening and then flip the whole thing over onto the cake(Sharon Zambito style). I have used satin ice in black before. I prefer my homemade fondant. If you are having trouble with cracking, try the shortening technique. PS will only dry it more. If you are in a dry climate that can really mess with the fondant. The lower the humidity, the harder it is to prevent elephant skin. HTH

cgm_cakes Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 14

Hi, Careylynn.

Glad to see you are using the site and getting your questions answered.

I haven't tried Satin Ice yet but I've used the Wilton fondant and it tastes disgusting. I have made both the MMF recipe and the Michelle Foster's Fondant (MFF from this site) and love them both. They are way cheaper to make and taste better and very easy if you have a good mixer.

Good luck on your next cake.

princesscatt Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 14

I have used Satin Ice and had the same problem. It is very soft in comparison to Wilton, both taste like crap but I did not have as hard of a time covering a cake with the wilton as I did with the satin ice. I made my own fondant over the weekend and was amazed at how EASY it was!! So much cheaper as well. I have yet to cover a cake with it but have used my MMF as accent pieces on cakes and it takes color well and works just the same.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 14

here some links where you can read about Satin Ice

and here one for the roller pin

I hope this helps...

good luck!!!

Rylan Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:02am
post #8 of 14

I personally prefer to use Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade fondant. I never had a problem with cracking.

princesscatt Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 14
Originally Posted by Rylan

I personally prefer to use Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade fondant. I never had a problem with cracking.

Could you post the recipe?

greengyrl26 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 14

I love to work with Satin Ice, rarely have any problems with it...especially since I got my new rolling mat. Get the blue one from Atecco...its made especially for working with fondant and it is absolutely amazing. One of those things that you just think..."Man, wish I'd known about this sooner!". They sell it at several online stores, but here's a link:

You just use a tiny bit of shortening, roll it out, pick up the mat AND fondant together and flip it over the cake. Peel away the mat and you're left with a wonderful SMOOTH finish on your fondant. Add a little cornstarch to use your fondant smoother. Easy peasy!

greengyrl26 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 14

Oh, forgot to add:
Don't cut ANYTHING on it, using metal cutters. Not cookie cutters and definitely not an exact-o knife. It will slice right thru your mat, like butter.
Use this mat for rolling only!

careylynn Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 14

I read and read other posts last night regarding the different types of fondant and preventing cracking. I am more confused than ever right now. Everyone has a different technique and different preferences....I guess I will learn with trial and error. I think I am going to make Rhonda's ultimate mmf this time and I am going to get a new mat. I am going to try just shortening to roll out and I ordered a new rolling pin last night from A 18in aluminum one. We will see how it goes...wish me luck icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 14

good luck! but yes, you're right. what I've found is that different techniques work with different fondants. Wilton for dry. Shortening is a must. Satin Ice, I find to be a little "wet" and can be very stick. Corn a must, shortening only makes it worse. And I think you'll LOVE the mat!

LEHLA Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 14

With the wiltons fondant are u adding shortening to it to make it softer? usaribbon.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%