Making Realistic Looking Cherry Blossoms... Any Tips?

Decorating By jhay Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 11:16pm by jhay

jhay Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 7

I've been doing a little research and I can't find any gumpaste cutter or instruction for making realistic looking cherry blossoms.

I don't necessary want to use a basic blossom cutter...I don't like the generic shape for this cake... I want the flowers to be more realistic.

Any ideas?

6 replies
jolmk Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 7

Take a look at these as a reference.

CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 7

I used a 5 petal blossom cutter but I added veins (I guess that's what they r called?) and pinched and curled some the petals, and no 2 were alike.
I'm not happy with my centers but the flowers I liked.

momg9 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 7

Scott Clark Woolley's book "Cakes by Design" has a realistic cherry blossom and gives step by step instructions. I've also seen a nice one in one of Toba Garrett's books (I can't remember which one). I get these books from my local library. If your particular library doesn't own it, you can request it from another. I do all my searching online and my library calls me to let me know when my books are in.

Rylan Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7

There are a few tutorials on cherry blossoms in here:

I believe the pdf file at the end of my first post also has a different tutorial.

ChucKles Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:38am
post #6 of 7

When i made mine i made the calyx first by rolling a cone out of green paste and cutting it into 5, I then pointed each piece and allowed them to dry.

I then used my miniature rose cutter set and cut the petals individually, veining with a rose petal veiner. I then balled each petal to give it some movement. I then stuck 5 onto each calyx interlocking each petal and allowed it to dry. The size of each cutter depended on the size of the calyx i had made.

Once dry i dusted each blossom with a darker plum/ pink in the centre and then a pale pink all over ( the calyx was partially dusted with the plum). With some royal icing i matched the colour i had dusted in the centres and piped a dot in each blossom centre and i then inserted about 5 stamens (with their heads cut off) that i had previously coloured with raspberry liquid food colour and dipped the tips in plum dusting powder to create stamens, and let dry.

It was very labour intensive but i loved how they turned out.

jhay Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much! This will really help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%