Display Cupcakes

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 7:05am by ayerim979

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 10

My 1st bridal show is next weekend. I was thinking of doing a display cupcake tower. I wondered though for the cuppies if it's better to ice them in regular BC or in RI? Anyone have any advice on display cupcakes?

9 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 10

I recently did some for a Bridal Show. I did half in RI and half in MMF. The MMF was more duarable.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 10

I do displays all the time for my shop window. I use RI.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 10

probably better off with royal so when people poke at it you won't get finger dents (people ..................)

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

probably better off with royal so when people poke at it you won't get finger dents (people ..................)

LOL! So true!!! Thanks everyone!

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 10

I have done 2 shows so far, I tried using light weight spackle but I didn't like how they didn't shine at the end, even though I sprayed them with glossy enamel, they looked too fake to me, so I ended up not using them, I did real ones, and then I tossed them out.

Then the second show, I bought them at the grocery store and removed their frosting and used butter cream to decorate with my own swirls. I didn't have the energy to do the real thing the night before.

Now on my third show, I am still thinking... would should I do?, I am getting tired of making real ones, and wasting time and money I do not have.
So I think I have to make the fake ones work some how, I am planning on doing 2 shows per year and I would like something I can just put in and out of the box.
Hope this helps

Mensch Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #7 of 10

I make real cupcakes for displays. I skip any vanilla and flavorings, just do a basic 1-2-3-4 cake, bake and let stand for a few days. Then I decorate them just like I would do real ones, except with royal.

I wouldn't want to keep pulling out the same ol' cuppies every time. I have new ideas and want to show off my skills, so I do make new ones regularly.

A funny anecdote:

The window designer at a very upscale shopping center contacted me last week about doing cupcakes for their Valentine display and I said yes. She send some pics of about what she wanted and that she needed them by Tuesday the 27th (next week). I called her yesterday to let her know that they were ready for pick-up. She was so silent I thought the phone went dead! I was like, Hello, hello?" She then proceeded to tell me how disappointed she was that they weren't going to be freshly baked. Uh, DUH.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:16am
post #8 of 10

icon_confused.gif Fresh cupcakes for a window display?! Oh geez, give me a break.

Mensch Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:36am
post #9 of 10

I know. I tried to explain to her, but she just didn't 'get it'.

Just kept saying she thought they'd be fresh.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 7:05am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I know. I tried to explain to her, but she just didn't 'get it'.

Just kept saying she thought they'd be fresh.

OMG !!! Poor thing was planning on eating them . lmaf

Did she end up taking them? I mean she didn't back out on you or anything did she? Thats funny.

It makes me wonder when I pass by a bakeshop and they have their displays all dusty and chipped from people I guess checking to see if the are actual real, I mean why not dust them? Are you not suppose to? Are they afraid they might smear the Icing icon_lol.gif lol !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%