Large Wedding Cake! - 400 People

Decorating By Jackie8921 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 3:48pm by Sagebrush

Jackie8921 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a wedding cake for about 400 people and need some help... The bride want butter cream iceing, but prefers the way stacked cakes look rather than tiered.... is this even possible with a cake this big, and if so, how do I make it so that the frosting under each layer does not get that messed up when serving time comes?

5 replies
jammjenks Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 6

Of course it is possible.

I have a bride having 450+ servings coming up. Hers will have three stacked cakes all on one table. Look at this one from soldierjunkie here on CC

Look at this thread:

As for messing up icing on the tops of the tiers...a lot of the time, I let my tiers sit unassembled overnight. Once the icing has crusted that long it doesn't stick. Some bakers put a piece of wax paper, some use coconut or a dusting of powdered sugar.

Jackie8921 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much for the tips! The wedding isn't until mid May, so I still have time to plan! But I'll be sure to show the bride the idea of the three cakes as well!

Any other tips, or cautions that anyone has experienced while making large cakes would be much appreciated! I've never done a cake this large and would like to elimante all possible mistakes before they even have a chance of happening!

Wesha Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the powered sugar tip. If you place a small amount between the tiers, your cakes will not stick and all of the icing comes off. I learned that from some of the great people in the forums.

djs328 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 6

Yup - I do the PS and wax paper trick also, thanks to CC! icon_smile.gif

Sagebrush Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 6

Instead of coconut between the layers, you can also shred/chop in the food processor almond bark. They do that at the bakery I shadowed at because some people really don't like coconut, and the almond bark is very inexpensive.

- Leisel

Quote by @%username% on %date%