Pound Cake Vs. Boxed Cake

Baking By pinklady78 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm by jammjenks

pinklady78 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:14am
post #1 of 4

Would it be better to use a pound cake or a boxed cake with pudding added to make the 3D teddy bear cake? It will be my first time making it so any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
kim62808 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:51am
post #2 of 4

Actually , I think if you use half the box of pudding and a extra egg yolk , and a little sourcream like 4-6 oz } And subsitute milk for water in ur mix but only a cup instead of 1 1/4 is what they usually ask for that will be a box mix poundcake really , basically a mix between both . That's what I use for all my cakes also infusions { vanilla ,butter , } but I have repeat orders all the time . Hope that helps . But I think also a box mix with just sourcream to it like 6oz would be fine to or just the pudding .

FullHouse Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 4

If you use a boxed mix be sure to alter it, try WASC with melted and cooled chocolate (or white choc.) added to the batter. A pound cake (scratch) will be even sturdier though, so if you are carving for the 1st time, you might find it easier with that. If you are using a shaped pan, then WASC is more than sturdy enough, you can carve WASC too though. Either way, make sure your cake is chilled.

jammjenks Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 4

I'd opt for a dr'd mix.

I've used a sturdy pound cake recipe twice in that pan and the nose fell off both times. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%