Pound Cake Vs. Boxed Cake

Baking By pinklady78 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm by jammjenks

pinklady78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady78 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:14am
post #1 of 4

Would it be better to use a pound cake or a boxed cake with pudding added to make the 3D teddy bear cake? It will be my first time making it so any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:51am
post #2 of 4

Actually , I think if you use half the box of pudding and a extra egg yolk , and a little sourcream like 4-6 oz } And subsitute milk for water in ur mix but only a cup instead of 1 1/4 is what they usually ask for that will be a box mix poundcake really , basically a mix between both . That's what I use for all my cakes also infusions { vanilla ,butter , } but I have repeat orders all the time . Hope that helps . But I think also a box mix with just sourcream to it like 6oz would be fine to or just the pudding .

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 4

If you use a boxed mix be sure to alter it, try WASC with melted and cooled chocolate (or white choc.) added to the batter. A pound cake (scratch) will be even sturdier though, so if you are carving for the 1st time, you might find it easier with that. If you are using a shaped pan, then WASC is more than sturdy enough, you can carve WASC too though. Either way, make sure your cake is chilled.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 4

I'd opt for a dr'd mix.

I've used a sturdy pound cake recipe twice in that pan and the nose fell off both times. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%