Stacking Cakes....i Just Can't Seem To Get This Right. Help!

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm by cakeflake80

cakeflake80 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:17am
post #1 of 9

So, I realize this may be an incredibly stupid question....but how on earth do you stack buttercream frosted cakes on top of each other without ruining the tier below it????

I have only done a handful of stacked cakes. The first few I just stacked without any cakeboard between the tiers (two layers....10'' and 6''). The problem I run into is that it's very messy when trying to cut the cake, and the bottom tier ends up having no frosting on the top.

After that happened, I attempted to stack them with the top tier on a cake board. I thought I let the frosting crust enough before putting the top tier on, but the next day at the party when I removed the top tier all of the frosting from the bottom tier came off with it.

Is there something I am missing??? I have a birthday cake to do for my nephew in a couple of weeks, and I really want to get it right this time!!!

8 replies
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:29am
post #2 of 9

This should help you Just make sure all of your supports (dowels) are the same height.

denetteb Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #3 of 9

Someone more tech savvy will probably post a link with the steps but in the meantime, if you cut the dowels a hair longer than the surface of the frosting, the upper cake on its cardboard will be sitting just at (or a little above) the surface of the lower layers frosting, not right in the lower cakes frosting. Also, let it crust before you add the top tier and some people put a little powdered sugar where the upper cakes cardboard will be to also help. A border will cover the little space if it shows. Hope this makes sense for you.

ayerim979 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:35am
post #4 of 9

Honestly that happens to my cakes all the time , I do use cake boards everytime I stack though (I always cover them in foil)

I figured thats just how it is lol !!

denetteb Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #5 of 9

Tiggy posted a link to steps even as I was typing my answer!

mandysue Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:49am
post #6 of 9

I asked this same question last week and someone suggested that I use waxed paper between the layers, so that's what I did...I can a circle the same size as the upper tier and put it between. When I disassembled the cake, there was no mess. Fabulous!

djs328 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:53am
post #7 of 9

Also, (this may be in one of those links...) if you sprinkle a little powdered sugar on the top of the bottom cake, put a wax paper circle, then the next tier, it won't peel the icing off the bottom cake. icon_smile.gif

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #8 of 9

Are you giving the tiers time to crust before you are stacking them? If you are using a crusting buttercream and frost wait til they crust and then stack them the frosting shouldn't come off with the cardboard.

cakeflake80 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone!! I will definitely try the wax paper/powdered sugar method since that seems the easiest. Sometime I don't even use dowels and the cake is always fine....probably because it's just two layers. Thank you again for all of your helpful suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%