Writing On Fondant

Decorating By SueW Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm by FromScratch

SueW Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:10am
post #1 of 12

Can I write on a fondant covered cake with buttercream? I wasn't sure if it would turn the fondant greasy. Thanks! If not what do you write with?

11 replies
antonia74 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:31am
post #2 of 12

lustre dust + a few drops of alcohol/extract, use that as paint with a thin paintbrush

or

royal icing

or

melted chocolate

djs328 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:36am
post #3 of 12

Or an edible marker? Americolor makes some nice ones...Personally, I don't like the Wilton ones.

jammjenks Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 12

I've used bc on fondant before w/o problems.

SueW Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you SO much you guys, you are always so willing to answer my questions icon_biggrin.gif I am going to try royal or painted on luster dust, just not sure my handwriting is nice enough for that!

Suew

FromScratch Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 12

I've used BC in a pinch, but I much prefer royal icing. It won't rub off like BC can. Also, you should look into tappits. I love them. They are letter cutters and they come in different fonts. They can be a little pesky to use at first, but once you figure them out, they are wonderful. Perfect letters. I wish they woudl make more fonts and various sizes of the same fonts... I can dream right? LOL

BakerzJoy Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I've used BC in a pinch, but I much prefer royal icing. It won't rub off like BC can. Also, you should look into tappits. I love them. They are letter cutters and they come in different fonts. They can be a little pesky to use at first, but once you figure them out, they are wonderful. Perfect letters. I wish they woudl make more fonts and various sizes of the same fonts... I can dream right? LOL

I just ordered my Tappits and I'm so excited to use them. What do you mean they can be pesky to use at first?
I use edible markers and it's does fine, but I have the worst handwriting. The Tappits look amazing and it's my way of cheating around the handwriting.

Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 12

Bakerzjoy, trust me, your handwriting cant be worse than mine which is Dreadful haha! ive got the tappits too! Sooo much easier and cleaner! They can be a little pesky, just getting the letters out of the tappit can be tricky, i usually just 'whack' mine against the bench and out it pops, once its out its alright, i use gumpaste or flower paste, as it sets up nice and firm as i found fondant can be too soft and the letters bend out of shape

BakerzJoy Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 12

Wow, okay thanks!! What a great tool for people like us!! I can't wait til their here!

_Jamie_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerzJoy

Wow, okay thanks!! What a great tool for people like us!! I can't wait til their here!

If you are doing something super intricate, like calligraphy or specific font which has no cutters (frequently my situation) you can make thin panels of GP, and do a lightbox type method to trace it with a food marker, and then fill it in with colors and a paintbrush. I jut did three huge panels last weekend in calligraphy/Old English this way.

dberck Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 12

Jamie - what a great idea. I have a lightbox from when I used to scrapbook...now I bake!

FromScratch Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 12

Yes... I use gumpaste too most of the time when using tappits. Modeling chocolate works well too you just have to let it set up. Fondant will work too yu just have to do the same thing and let it set up a bit first... or add some tylose to it if you are impatient... like me... icon_lol.gif.

I say pesky, because you have to find the thickness that works best for you. I use my pasta roller to roll out my product for using the tappits so they are all even. If it's too thick they wll stick. Too thin and they will break apart. They just have a little learning curve... then they are a breeze.

You can print your wording out on paper and pin prick it in to the fondant too...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%