Dairy/soy-Free Icing?

Decorating By tsal Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm by tsal

tsal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:59am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I'm preparing a cake for a family that needs it to be absolutely dairy and soy free. I have some experience in making dairy-free baked goods since my son was allergic to dairy and soy as a newborn and since I was nursing, I had to cut out all dairy and soy from my diet. When my birthday rolled around, I made myself some cupcakes and iced them with an icing prepared with dairy-free/soy-free margarine and icing sugar. They were not bad, if I do say so myself!

The margarine is made from cottonseed oil. Do you think I could put fondant over a cake that is covered in my margarine concoction? I don't think the icing will crust - do you think the fondant will slide off in that case?

Anyone have experience in preparing cakes for allergic people?

2 replies
 kathik  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:24am
post #2 of 3

Hi tsal,

I do dairy free cakes exclusively. You should be able to put fondant over this frosting. Icing does not need to crust to be put under fondant. If you can get a dairy free, soy free margarine/shortening stick use that. I think Earth Balance has a stick that is dairy and soy free. The sticks have less water than the spreads and will work much better.

Good luck,
Kathi

tsal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 3

thank you!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%