Dairy/soy-Free Icing?

Decorating By tsal Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm by tsal

tsal Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:59am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I'm preparing a cake for a family that needs it to be absolutely dairy and soy free. I have some experience in making dairy-free baked goods since my son was allergic to dairy and soy as a newborn and since I was nursing, I had to cut out all dairy and soy from my diet. When my birthday rolled around, I made myself some cupcakes and iced them with an icing prepared with dairy-free/soy-free margarine and icing sugar. They were not bad, if I do say so myself!

The margarine is made from cottonseed oil. Do you think I could put fondant over a cake that is covered in my margarine concoction? I don't think the icing will crust - do you think the fondant will slide off in that case?

Anyone have experience in preparing cakes for allergic people?

2 replies
kathik Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:24am
post #2 of 3

Hi tsal,

I do dairy free cakes exclusively. You should be able to put fondant over this frosting. Icing does not need to crust to be put under fondant. If you can get a dairy free, soy free margarine/shortening stick use that. I think Earth Balance has a stick that is dairy and soy free. The sticks have less water than the spreads and will work much better.

Good luck,
Kathi

tsal Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 3

thank you!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%