Bridge Help

Decorating By evbunt Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 10:23pm by evbunt

evbunt Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 5

Okay, I am doing a thomas the train cake for this weekend and I am incorporating a few pictures from cc for inspiration. I am doing a 10" round stacked cake and will attempt to carve it in a spiral for the road (railroad tracks), but the little boy is also infatuted with bridges...so the train tracks are also going to go across an 11x15 cake that I am going to carve into to make a stream and have the tracks go across a bridge.

But, I've only made flat, cut out fondant pieces before and a bow...do I use fondant for the bridge and if so, do I have time (today is Wed and the cake is due Sun morning) for it to dry in time to be sturdy? I was also wondering if I should use Royal icing instead, but have only used that on a gingerbread house and don't know how I would do it for a bridge...

I'm assuming whatever I do, i just have to make 2 equal halves for the sides of the bridge...but not sure if the bottom tracks will stay suspended or if they will sag...it's not gonna be huge, but I do want it to be cute.

Any advice on which one to use (and I don't have tylose, haven't found it in a store yet) and techninque? Thanks for your help!! you guys are wonderful!!

4 replies
JanH Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:50am
post #2 of 5

.moving to Ideas forum. icon_smile.gif

evbunt Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:11am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

.moving to Ideas forum. icon_smile.gif

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, I though this was a "how do I" type of question.

CandyCU Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #4 of 5

How about using a piece of clear sturdy bendy plastic, like Acetate, cut to the width of the bridge and used underneath the bridge to add a little more support? I'm not sure it will work but just a suggestion...

HTH!

evbunt Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCU

How about using a piece of clear sturdy bendy plastic, like Acetate, cut to the width of the bridge and used underneath the bridge to add a little more support? I'm not sure it will work but just a suggestion...

HTH!

thanks for the suggestion...I ended up wrapping an uncooked piece of lasagna....I am not going to put the train ON it though, I'll have it about to enter the bridge... keeping my fingers crossed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%