Whats The Best Way ..

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm by Mike1394

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:26am
post #1 of 10

to write on a cake? I don't have the steadiest of hands and not the best penmanship either. I have a saying I'd like to have on an upcoming sheet cake but don't know the best way to go about it. Thanks for any ideas!

9 replies
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #2 of 10

Have someone write it what you want on parchment paper is nice looking handwriting. Place it over the cake and poke holes with toothpicks to trace the lettering. Then remove the parchment and carefully pipe it out.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:45am
post #3 of 10

I had an idea, maybe someone else has and I hadn't noticed, but I haven't tried it yet. Basically you do a FBCT - frozen buttercream transfer. Print it how you want but backwards, put a piece of parchment or wax paper over it (tape it preferably) and place that on a board or a pan so you have a flat surface to work on, trace with BC, freeze, then carefully turn it over onto your cake.

Sometimes I make a plaque out of fondant and let it dry, then write on it with icing writers (food safe markers) or "paint" it on with gel color.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:14am
post #4 of 10

Thats a good idea Renae... if don't mind I can help I think.

Get a piece of parchment or wax paper and have someone write on it with a black sharpie. Flip that piece over and trace it on the backside with RI or buttercream (RI if you don't want to freeze it)

Let RI harden or BC freeze and then place it frosting side down on the cake.

Ta-da! No need to write backwards. You may want to use edible markers to write instead, but I don't think sharpie will bleed through parchment. Just in case.

Great idea!

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #5 of 10

Type it up on the computer in a nice font then print it off. Do the pin prick method. Then pipe over the pin pricks. I took a pin and poked holes in the paper from the front side and then laid the paper on the cake and gently rubbed over it with a fondant smoother. Lifted off the paper and there were little dots on the icing to pipe over.
OR
Get an edible image made of the saying you typed up.
OR
If the saying isn't too long do the impression letters.
OR
Use tappits or Wilton small cookie cutter type letters and cut them out of fondant and lay it on the icing.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 10

Type it up on the computer in a nice font then print it off. Do the pin prick method. Then pipe over the pin pricks.
OR
Get an edible image made of the saying you typed up.
OR
If the saying isn't too long do the impression letters.
OR
Use tappits or Wilton small cookie cutter type letters and cut them out of fondant and lay it on the icing.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:22am
post #7 of 10

If this is something you will be doing again, you may want to consider SugarVeil. You can color it any color you want scrape it over stencils let it set and place it on your cake

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:26am
post #8 of 10

Find a font you like on the computer and print out what you need.

Place a piece of firm clear plastic over the printout and use RI or melted candy melts to pipe.

Let harden and transfer to cake.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 10

thanks everyone! I do have the tappits, but I think those letters are going to be to small for the sheet cake. I have tried the pin prick method before in the past, but my icing never seems to crust hard enough to get the pokes to show through enough for me to trace them. I do have the sugar veil system, but it's never been opened in the years I have had it. Is that sad or what? I wouldn't even know where to begin with that machine. I think either and edible image or the RI method might work best for me. Thanks everyone!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 10

I like to use the RI method mentioned above with chocolate. I'm with ya though my writing stinks.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%