Cocoa Powder . . . Dutch ??

Baking By hollylikescake Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm by sabriana

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 2

What is the difference between dutch cocoa powder and regular? I wanted to try the chocolate butter cake recipe from the cake bible. It calls for dutch cocoa and I have Hershey's in my pantry. Do I really need to go to the grocery store and look for dutch?

1 reply
sabriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabriana Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 2

Hi there,

First, look in the Cake Bible - theres a great explanation of the difference between the two and how to use them. I tried the Hersheys with one of the recipes from the Cake Bible and didn't like the way it tasted, but didn't notice much difference in the cake.

Dutch-Processed or Alkalized Unsweetened Cocoa Powder is treated with an alkali to neutralize its acids. Because it is neutral and does not react with baking soda, it must be used in recipes calling for baking powder, unless there are other acidic ingredients in sufficient quantities used. It has a reddish-brown color, mild flavor, and is easy to dissolve in liquids. Its delicate flavor makes it ideal in baked goods like European cakes and pastries where its subtle flavor complements other ingredients. Droste, Lindt, Valrhona, Poulain and Pernigotti are some popular brands.

Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder tastes very bitter and gives a deep chocolate flavor to baked goods. Its intense flavor makes it well suited for use in brownies, cookies and some chocolate cakes. When natural cocoa (an acid) is used in recipes calling for baking soda (an alkali), it creates a leavening action that causes the batter to rise when placed in the oven. Popular brands are Hershey's, Ghirardelli, and Scharffen Berger.

HTH

h

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%