Square Cakes ~ Do You Charge Extra?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 11:20pm by indydebi

kellertur Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 21

I read in one of my cake books that since square cakes generally take longer to ice/fondant that most decorators will charge more than they would for round tiers.

Do YOU charge more for square cakes? (I'm not talking about more servings in a square VS round, thus more cost...)

~ Does it take you longer to ice/fondant a square cake?
I DO have a base price / per serv, etc. and go up according to difficulty, but this one puzzled me...

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

20 replies
Mensch Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 21

No.

cakesdivine Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 21

Nope & nope icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 21

Wouldn't dream of it. It takes a bit longer and I'm a stickler for sharpitty sharpness, but no way.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 21

I didn't realise that they took longer to ice?

_Jamie_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 21

Well, I can put a round cake on the turntable and spin it around two or three times, and it's done. Not that easy with square. And I'm not happy with "good enough"...I insist on razor sharp. So yeah, it takes me a bit longer. icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 21

nope. For fondant, I MUCH prefer covering squares than rounds. So much easier & faster. I charge the same.

FromScratch Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 21

Squares do take a little more finagling to get perfect, but I don't charge extra for that. I am like you Jamie... I insist on perfection and straight sharp corners so it does take a little longer to get a square iced as opposed to a round. I think they are easier to put fondant on though... LOL.

sugarandslice Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 21

I charge more for the extra servings but not for the decoration. Like others have said, I find it a little easier to put fondant on a square, so that bit is actually a little quicker.

kellertur Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 21

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me.

I appreciate your answers. icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 21

Square cakes yield more servings than round. Since I charge per serving, my square cakes are more expensive. Not because of difficulty, but because of serving amounts.

FromScratch Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Square cakes yield more servings than round. Since I charge per serving, my square cakes are more expensive. Not because of difficulty, but because of serving amounts.

Yes... this is true for me too. For me, an 8" round is 20 servings and an 8" square is 30, so an 8" square would cost more than its round counterpart, but not because of a higher per serving price.

KHalstead Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 21

I don't charge extra for the difficulty involved, like stated before more servings = more money, but other than that no extra charge involved.

Also, like was stated above I too find it MUCH easier to fondant a square cake than a round cake!!!

erinalicia Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #14 of 21

how in the heck do you all get your corners so sharp? I guess I just don't have the patience. My icing always seems to want to pull away when I'm doing the corners and I end up wanting to throw the cake at the wall. This is another reason why I HATE sheet cakes. I have Sugarshack's dvd I've watched her ice a square several times, but I just can't do it. Then again, I don't practice them often.

_Jamie_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:08pm
post #15 of 21

Practice practice practice. And like I mentioned earlier, the bench scraper that's been linked to twice and hot water. icon_smile.gif Sugarshack DVD is exactly where I got a start towards sharpness.

prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #16 of 21

erincalicia, if your icing is pulling away from the cake, then it is too thick.

tarheelgirl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #17 of 21

I don't charge extra either. They do take longer because of the corners and my OCD! icon_lol.gif

erinalicia Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #18 of 21

it only seems to pull away from the corners, not the rest of the cake, though. I always thought it was weird.

_Jamie_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:19pm
post #19 of 21

Are you smoothing from the corner to the middle? I bet not. Put your bench scraper at the very edge of the board edge. Pull towards the middle. Repeat, Repeat, then I switch it up and smooth the opposite direction until they all come together with very defined edges. It's not gonna happen in one pass.

_Jamie_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:27pm
post #20 of 21

Oooh, that was super rude of me. I said a whole bunch of stuff was already mentioned, and it was, but not in here, in THIS thread!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-665393-.html

indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:20pm
post #21 of 21

No I never charged extra for squares and I actually prefer doing squares! My first fondant was square and after one panic call to a fellow CC'er, it went on way easier than a round.

I actually would counsel my brides that "some bakeries charge extra just because it's square. We don't charge extra because we can't see that it's any extra work. I actually prefer doing squares!"

A plastic bench scraper smooths better than an icing spatula. I also saw a demo (and I tried it and it WORKS) that using a credit card makes smoothing a corner really easy. The person giving the demo said she saves those "You may have qualified" phony health coverage and credit cards that come in the mail .... sanitizes them and they go in her cake tools drawer. When I tried using one, the flexibility of the card just make it work SO well!

As mentioned above, start at the corners and move outward. Don't ice to the shape of the cake ... ice to square them up, using the plastic scraper (or credit card) to shape the corners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%