Making Extra Tall Tiers...

Decorating By jhay Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm by TexasSugar

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I have this couple who want a totally adorable lovebird theme. They love the idea of it being tall tiers w/ cherry blossom vines climbing it and two lovebirds dressed in wedding attire at the top in a nest.
I LOVE IT!

However, I'm wondering how the extra layer (that makes 3 layers of cake per tier instead of two) will affect the amount of servings.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

2 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 3

1.5x the amount of cake = 1.5x the amount of servings = 1.5x the price. I would recommend doing two 3" cakes (with cardboards and supports) iced together as one tier. This makes the cake stable and servable.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 3

In my opinion I would keep the same servings that you would get from the regular 4in tall cakes because chances are the person that cuts it will use the basic cutting guide and not the tall pieces in half to serve, or cut them thinner to serve.

I would change more for the extra cake though, because you are after all baking addition cake for their design.

I'd also suggest they find out how big the plates are where they are having the reception or to make sure they are getting plates that will hold a 6" plus piece of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%