Sorry For The Stupid Question

Decorating By srodts Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 6:54pm by prterrell

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 21

Hey all I am really sorry if this is a really stupid question but I am not getting it right, and I would love it if you all with your mighty knowledge would help me out.

How do I get chocolate buttercream to be dark?
I use Sugarshacks crusting buttercream so I tried adding chocolate syrup to the creamer, still really tan, then I tried adding special dark coco in with the powder sugar and it turned almost like a grey brown, (not a pretty color) and it also ended up getting gritty.

I am at a loss I just cant get it and i am begging all you experts out there to please help me!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your time and most of all your knowledge and your willingness to share it with me.

Shannon

20 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 21

add brown coloring or maybe use ganache made with dark chocolate rather than buttercream

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 21

No worries, this is not a stupid question. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 21

Special Dark cocoa does turn a funny color at first but then darkens up. How much did you add?

I usually add probably close to a cup of cocoa to a recipe using 2lbs of sugar.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 21

I add brown food coloring to "brown" it up. If I have left over ganache I add that in too.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 21

I always end up adding coloring as well. When I get it to taste right, it just isn't dark enough. icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 21

I've used the special dark cocoa, and it is a funny gray when first mixed, but that grayness does go away, but it doesn't make it real dark. I even added an extra 2 oz melted unsweetened chocolate along with the cocoa - did not help. So adding food coloring is the answer for buttercream. Or just go with using ganache.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 21

Ditto....I've added brown gel colors to get the most appealing shade of brown.

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 21

Not sure what shade of brown you are looking for.. but if you look at the pink and brown square cake in my photos, I got that by just making the chocolate buttercream recipe that is here on CC.

srodts Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 21

Thank you all so much for all the help. I did notice that the color has changed some and alot of the grey has gone out.
TexasSugar I added just over a 1/3 cup for my 5 lb powder sugar, sounds like you add alot more. maybe I will try more next time.
I may have to add color to it to get the dark brown I am looking for.
Thank you all so much for your help you are all great!!!!!
Thanks again

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 21

I use real chocolate (melted), not cocoa. It gives a very rich chocolate flavor.

I just keep adding a combination of high quality dark/bitter/semi chocolate until I get the flavor/consistency I want.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 21

I'm with dkelly... I add melted chocolate to mine. I think it tastes richer than cocoa powder too.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 21

I add melted dark or dark and milk chocolate to my buttercream and it's a lovely colour. No need for colourings.

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:15pm
post #14 of 21

I agree with dkelly.
Add melted chocolate- it adds color and flavor!

srodts Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:16pm
post #15 of 21

Ok so do you use the chocolate waffers or chips? Can you also help me with the different colors (light and Dark) when I try to smooth out my frosting? How do I get it and how do I stop getting it?
Thank you all again so much for helping me out!!!!!

I love you guys!!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:48pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by srodts

Ok so do you use the chocolate waffers or chips?

Neither. I use bars....like Godiva or Ghiradelli

srodts Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #17 of 21

You know I looked at them the other day when I picked up the special dark coco but I didnt know if they would work with buttercream or not all I could see was chunks of chocolate cuz the melted chocolate hardened back up!! LOL LOL

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #18 of 21

I add melted unsweetened Bakers Chocolate to my butter before I add the powdered sugar.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 21

I use Ghirardelli as well. It can usually be found above the chocolate chips on the baking aisle:

http://shop.ghirardelli.com/product-exec/product_id/343/nm/60_Cacao_Bittersweet_Chocolate_Baking_Bar

They make a 70% cacao that I love as well.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm
post #20 of 21

In the UK I use bars of chocolate specifically for baking - they're in the baking ailse - or chocolate with minimum 70% cocoa solids.

I cream the butter then melt the chocolate and add it straight away and then start adding the powdered sugar. I give it a quick mix with the electric mixer to make sure it's blended properly and I haven't had a problem with uneven colour,

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:54pm
post #21 of 21

Ghirardelli, Scharffenberger, or Lindt.

NEVER chocolate syrup. I can only imagine what a runny mess that would create!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%