Cake Books

Decorating By baking_fool Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 8:01pm by DelectabilityCakes

baking_fool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking_fool Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 2

Hello all I am going to be buying some cake books and before I do I wanted to ask you all what are your favirot cake books? icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 2

I might have a different idea on things than others but I don't like reading the books that have a lot of completed cakes in them.. I don't want a recipe on how the cake was made piece by piece. I like books that detail more on the individual crafts such as sugar flowers, embroidery, etc.

BUT there are many books that are beneficial...here's my list so I hope this helps.

Confetti Cakes - was much better than I was expecting... I don't really like to see a lot of completed projects...BUT it has a lot of tips about while you're doing this here is an easier, faster way which is always helpful.

The Wedding Cake Decorator's Bible - Alan Dunn - Like I was saying at the beginning it tells you how to do chocolate embroidery, how to make about 10 different sugar flowers, how to stencil, how to hand paint designs, how to make gelatin figures, etc. Extremely resourceful.

Decorating Cakes - A Reference & Idea Book from Wilton - Basically 100+ pages on buttercream piping, flowers of every type, shapes, designs, etc. plus a little bit on other design methods..

I have a couple regular Wilton ones but since most of their projects are crappy (only about 2-4 are decent per book)

The next ones I plan to get just to add to my collection are:

Cakes to Inspire and Desire by Lindy Smith
Sweet And Simple Party Cakes by May Clee-Cadman
Lesley Herbert's Complete Book of Sugar Flowers
Exotic Sugar Flowers for Cakes by Alan Dunn
International School of Sugarcraft: 1-3 from Nicolas Lodge
The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn
The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

for now....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%