Customer Wants A Two Foot Statue...........

Decorating By Mindy1975 Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm by Mindy1975

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 8

Ok....I never back down from a challenge, and I'm not afraid to tackle things I've never done, or take a cake order for something I've never done. But I get a call lastnight from a caterer who is doing a high school reunion. He has asked for a two foot statue of a "chief redskin" the school's mascot. He mentioned using rice krispies, etc. But all I can think of is how would I get the arms and legs etc. to stay. I'm trying to think of all the cake shows I have watched and nothing comes to mind on how to do this. I just can't get past the step in my head where I do the arms and legs and how I would get them to stay! I also think this is very unpractical because it really doesn't serve well, as far as cutting into it and serving it. After I got to thinking about it, I had a thought of doing a gumpaste figure of the mascot on top of a cool decorated cake in the school colors, etc. I could probably get away with making the figure about a foot tall out of gumpaste/fondant and it would still look very "prominent" for the reunion. I've done bride and groom ones about 9" tall and they turned out fine. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Have you ever done a statue like this and have it turn out well??? I appreciate any input you have greatly!

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 8

I've seen it done with pvc pipe. Make a person shape and stack the cake for the body and legs, but wrap the arms with RKT and modeling chocolate.

Never done it, mind....just have seen it on challenges.

Let us know how it goes.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 8

Just make your structure with pvc pipe (make sure you glue the joints) and form with modeling chocolate or rice krispie treats. A stirophome ball makes a good head for your structure.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 8

Tell 'em you want a 2 foot check for that cake! icon_lol.gif

I'm not nearly half experienced to do something like that, but I do wish you the best of luck! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 8

I think it sounds so fun! Okay stressful maybe...but that's a good paycheck right there! I'm thinking like at least $2000....

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 8

You can do it. icon_smile.gif

I see everyone already beat me to the PVC recommendation. 2 foot is not as high as it seems, my Jack cake was 22" so almost there. I used RKT for his head and they were pretty darn easy to work with. If you want a more detailed statue face, you can mold the face from gumpaste or fondant and then add the layer of fondant over it. Cause the RKT can't be formed to super detail.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 8

You can always find a way to have the mascot interestingly posed, but have his arms at his sides so that you can carve them as a part of the body. I mean, do they want him in a full action pose? If not, I think a more limbs-close-to-the-body pose is reasonable.

If it is an action pose, you can accomplish this with the large sized wooden shish kabob type skewer. I did this for the Santa cake in my pics. But you have to pose him in such a way that you have enough of a straight line far enough into each piece to have a skewer do any good.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for the support everyone. I just smiled when I saw your $2000 price tag Kitagirl. lol I know he will never pay that. He only got $4000 I think for the whole catering gig...so I know he isn't going to spend that much on a statue that isn't even going to serve very many people. That's another thing that bothers me about this request. You won't really be able to eat it! His budget seems to make me lean towards my decision to take the "safe" route and do a nice cake with a good 9-12" gumpaste figure on top. That way, he would get plenty of cake, and I would still get paid a fair amount for my work. Even if I did this statue, but only charged something like $350.....I would end up hating myself over all those hours of labor.......and I quit underpricing myself a long time ago. I think if it had been something simpler like a ghost, or giant pumpkin, or something like that, then I'd be all for it....but this mascot is standing on one leg....other kicked out.......arm up in the air holding a spear. That's a lot to take in, for doing it the first time. Or.....maybe I just need to think about it a little longer, and get my nerve up to just do it. lol I would have to charge at least $500 for it......I'll let you know what the decision will be! Thank you so much everyone for responding! Mindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%