Scratch Cakes

Decorating By cadgurl07 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 3:55am by morgs2485

MelissaS12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaS12 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:21pm
post #31 of 49

I started with just using box cake mixes and they worked and they tasted great but now I am getting more into decorating and carving cakes so I started baking my own cakes. There are sometimes I still use boxes because its easier and sometimes I make my own because you have more control over taste and texture. It's a personal choice... do whatever makes you happy thats what its all about!

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:23pm
post #32 of 49

wow, i never knew people actually get offended over the subject in question, scratch vs box mix, and there is a whole thread bowt it?....................... SCRATCH all the way, whoop whoop! lol. and couldn't care less if people disagreed with me!...wot does it matter icon_lol.gif looool

cadgurl, you do wot works for you, just make sure you have fun!! thumbs_up.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:31pm
post #33 of 49

cadgurl07 ~ Congratulations on your successful scratch cake! Glad it was well received, and that you're willing to seek out and try other recipes as well! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #34 of 49

What........3 pages and K8memphis aka roccosmom hasn't chimed in yet with her "twinkies are made from scratch" speech?

To the OP welcome aboard the scratch train.....the best part about it is there are literally thousands of great recipes out there just waiting to be made.

Have fun!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:48pm
post #35 of 49

Wow, the cake looks great! Yum!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:48pm
post #36 of 49

*sitting in the back row with a bucket full of popcorn*

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #37 of 49

I haven't seen K8 around lately... I miss her. Eventhough we butt heads once in a while... I still love her.

You know... I think those who have had bad luck with scratch baking are SO excited when they get it right, and that was reflective in the OP.

Welcome to the wonders of scratch baking!! And to those who don't enjoy or want nothng to do with it... that's all good too. icon_smile.gif

(I'm with you Jan... white chocolate is just meh to me. Gimme dark chocolate anyday)

superdobbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdobbers Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #38 of 49

as a non-american I am truly fascinated by this subject. I just assumed all cakes were made by scratch- I didnt even know there was another way! I'm soooooooooo glad I never knew because I'd be far too lazy/scared to switch to scratch if I'd started out using box mixes icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gif

It does however, make me really curious about what a box-made cake is like- I might search one down and try it out of curiosity - I can always give it to the Mother in Law icon_evil.gificon_razz.gif hehe

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

What........3 pages and K8memphis aka roccosmom hasn't chimed in yet with her "twinkies are made from scratch" speech?

To the OP welcome aboard the scratch train.....the best part about it is there are literally thousands of great recipes out there just waiting to be made.

Have fun!

Don't worry, she isn't going to bring it up again, as far as I know. icon_sad.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #40 of 49

Congrats on your cake, sounds yummy.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #41 of 49

When I want to develope a new recipe, I find at least 5 good recipes and try them out. That gives me an idea of what does and doesn't work or what I do and don't like. I make a table comparing the ingredients, and based on what I want the cake (this applies to anything I cook, actually) to be like, I tinker around with the ingredients, procedure, etc, until I get the outcome I want. For some things that I have more experience with, I can skip the initial trial of all the recipes and go straight to comparing ingredients to develop a trial recipe and go from there. When I finally get a cake/dish the way I want it, it is mine. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH! Have fun playing!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm
post #42 of 49

I've made tons of scratch cakes (I'm almost 50) but I definitely prefer doctored mix cakes. I prefer both the texture and the taste. I say whatever floats your boat, or bakes your cake icon_smile.gif.

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:33pm
post #43 of 49

I have a question for the scratch bakers.

I use to make scratch butter cakes, but I have switched over the years to only making cakes that call for oil and skipping over cakes that use butter. Why . . . because as I have started getting into decorating, cakes have become a much more involved process. Now, I may bake a cake on Monday, refridgerate or freeze (depending on where I can find space to cram it), and then decorate it on Friday. It just works better for me from a time management/stress standpoint.

I switched to oil cakes because I think butter cakes loose some of their moistness when you freeze them? Most of you make way more cakes than I do. Do you agree with the don't freeze a butter cake or is it just me? So if you make a butter cake for a party on Saturday, how far ahead do you make the cake?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:43pm
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

Quote:

Have fun!

Don't worry, she isn't going to bring it up again, as far as I know. icon_sad.gif

Not worried....like Jeanne I may have butt heads with her on this subject, but her posts were always entertaining.

Not to highjack this thread, but I wish she would come back and post. If you see/speak to her please tell her that her cake buddies are wondering where she is. icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:44pm
post #45 of 49
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

Quote:

Have fun!

Not worried....like Jeanne I may have butt heads with her on this subject, but her posts were always entertaining.

Not to highjack this thread, but I wish she would come back and post. If you see/speak to her please tell her that her cake buddies are wondering where she is. icon_smile.gif

I will, thanks Dkelly.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:44pm
post #46 of 49

The earliest I ever bake is Wednesday evening. Generally I start and finish a cake in one day, so a Saturday cake will be done start to finish on Friday.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:01am
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollylikescake

I have a question for the scratch bakers.

I use to make scratch butter cakes, but I have switched over the years to only making cakes that call for oil and skipping over cakes that use butter. Why . . . because as I have started getting into decorating, cakes have become a much more involved process. Now, I may bake a cake on Monday, refridgerate or freeze (depending on where I can find space to cram it), and then decorate it on Friday. It just works better for me from a time management/stress standpoint.

I switched to oil cakes because I think butter cakes loose some of their moistness when you freeze them? Most of you make way more cakes than I do. Do you agree with the don't freeze a butter cake or is it just me? So if you make a butter cake for a party on Saturday, how far ahead do you make the cake?

Hi ~ I am a hobby scratch baker. I don't freeze any cakes. I tried once after having a "discussion" (borderline argument) with an aquaintance who suggested I should bake and freeze all of my cakes. So I froze a butter cake for 5 days. I (personally) did not like the texture of the cake once it thawed. It never regained the "just from the oven" tender softness to the crumb. So, if I were to do a cake or project due on Saturday, I would do all of the baking on Thursday (for 1, 2 or 3 tiers). If the project is larger than 3 tiers, I would bake late Wednesday and resume on Thursday. HTH! icon_smile.gif

However, if the cake is for a small event, and uncomplicated in decorating design, I will do as previously suggested and do the whole thing (baking & decorating) the day before.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #48 of 49

op - congrats on your success!

i'm a fan of white chocolate and hope you will share the recipe.

thanks

morgs2485 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgs2485 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:55am
post #49 of 49

In regards to those curious about good recipes- I'm using a book called The Complete Baking Cookbook by George Geary. So far, so good! HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%