Scratch Cakes

Decorating By cadgurl07 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 3:55am by morgs2485

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 49

I made my first scratch cake (that actually came out edible) over this past weekend and wow....I never knew. It was a very very dense (and heavy) white chocolate cake. It smelled like cheesecake but could have used more chocolate. It only had a hint of white chocolate flavor.

I tried to make a scratch cake before and totally flopped. This one was awesome. I brought it to work and it got rave reviews. I'm totally for scratch cakes now. No more box mixes for me.

Now....to find some recipes (espcially white, chocolate, java, strawberry, orange, pineapple and lemon). lol. I just had to share my revalation....espcially to those who use box mixes and thought it was enough.

The picture attached was the cake. It was a white chocolate cake with white chocolate buttercream and raspberry jam filling with a raspberry syrup on top. It wasn't too sweet either...Yum...
LL

48 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 49

Just so you know, white chocolate never has a strong flavor. It's always mild. The more chocolate you add, the heavier your cake will become.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 49

Find a good base recipe (for me it's a butter cake) that works for you. From there you can make adjustments for all kinds of flavors. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 49

Another scratch convert, bwuahahahahahahaha! Have fun...You're going to be very popular at work after you bring your experiments in icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 49

Congrats

Mike

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 49

Blessings

Welcome to scratch baking. Take your time and be patient, you may not get it the first couple of times. Like anything else, it takes practice.

I totally agree with prterrell, perfect making a universal cake. I too use butter cakes. Once you perfect making a butter cake you will be able to tweak it to suit your needs.

And your cake is absolutely gorgeous! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Just so you know, white chocolate never has a strong flavor. It's always mild.

I've tried and tried to like white chocolate but I just can't.... icon_lol.gif

It has NO discernible flavor and having chocolate in the name is a complete misnomer - it's NOT chocolate, it's only sweet!!! icon_mad.gif

(And yes, I know that it's called white chocolate because it's what's left when you remove the chocolate liquor from "real" chocolate.) tapedshut.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadgurl07

Now....to find some recipes (espcially white, chocolate, java, strawberry, orange, pineapple and lemon). lol.

Here's a multi-paged list of CC member contributed favorite scratch recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-440803-.html

HTH

costumeczar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

I've tried and tried to like white chocolate but I just can't.... icon_lol.gif

I have to agree with you on this...If it isn't the darkest chocolate around, I don't think it's worth the time! I have a white chocoalte cake recipe and I don't do it very often because I can't taste a difference in the flavor, either, It just gives it a different texture, but not much of a flavor.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 49
Quote:

I just had to share my revalation....espcially to those who use box mixes and thought it was enough.

What about those that just prefer the taste and texture of cake mixes? I guess there is something wrong with all of us. icon_sad.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 49

ahhh, and now the fun begins! icon_biggrin.gif I prefer scratch made cakes over boxed cakes for most of the things I make. The only exception would be the WASC cake for wedding cakes.

I like a butter cake as mentioned above. They seem to work well for me.
White chocolate isn't a big fav of mine as like some others mentioned it just doesn't add anything worth while (taste wise) to my cakes.

Why not go to your local library and check out The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum? I started with her recipes and have been pleased with just about everything out of that book. Another one I like is Dorie Greenspan.

There are tons of recipes on this site as well so have a look through those too.

Your cake is very nice and I am sure you will be quite popular with your co-workers icon_lol.gif

Mike1394 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

I just had to share my revalation....espcially to those who use box mixes and thought it was enough.

What about those that just prefer the taste and texture of cake mixes? I guess there is something wrong with all of us. icon_sad.gif

Not that something is wrong just not......... Sorry TS had to icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

mcampbell31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcampbell31 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 49

I never make box cakes unless i'm just practicing. I wouldn't dare give a boxed cake to someone. Oh the Horror! I just don't get box cakes at all. Making a scratch cake is so easy to me. I guess once you get a good recipe you'd make scratch one as well. I can't even stand the taste of box cakes.

JanH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 49
Quote:

Quote:

The OP wanted to share her joy at accomplishing something important to her. And then stated an opinion....

Think the scratch, box or doctored mix bakers/decorators should have enough confidence in themselves/their products to not create an "issue" when a member shares "her" opinion.

We are all entitled to "our" opinions and no method of producing a tasty cake is better/worse than any other.

It's not necessary to bash anyone's preferred method... Let's agree to disagree on this always heated topic.

JanH
CC Forums Mod

Mike1394 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 49

Now c'mon Mom (Jan) A good scratch VS box is a whole lot better than "how much is my cake worth" LOLOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 49

Hello everyone could you please share the recipe for the white chocolate cake and the butter cakes please...I need to find a good recipe to play with... icon_redface.gif
thanks in advance...

Your cake looks awesome icon_biggrin.gif

cadgurl07 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm
post #16 of 49
Quote:

Quote:

oh no, not at all....although up until I came to this site, the thought of a scratch cake never existed. Took me about a year of decorating cakes to even try one. And the first one failed...drastically. If that's what you prefer...there's nothing wrong with that. I was just sharing my experience.

cadgurl07 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #17 of 49

Thank you to the rest of you. I'll remember not to put more chocolate in that recipe, it was already heavy enough. But it was good. Smelled like cheesecake for some reason.
Yes I am going to have fun experimenting and I always hear people at work asking when the next cake is coming in.
Fun Fun!
Thanks again.

cadgurl07 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:10pm
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi-Tutty

Hello everyone could you please share the recipe for the white chocolate cake and the butter cakes please...I need to find a good recipe to play with... icon_redface.gif
thanks in advance...

Your cake looks awesome icon_biggrin.gif

I'll have to get back to you on mine. It's at home, and I'm at work.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #19 of 49

[quote="JanH"]

Quote:

We are all entitled to "our" opinions and no method of producing a tasty cake is better/worse than any other.

JanH
CC Forums Mod

I agree. I was stating mine.

Cadgurl, I'm excited for you that you did find a recipe that worked really well for you. Apparently that is the most important part of scratch baking. I have made scratch bundt cakes but haven't tired my hand at many decorated cakes.

I wasn't trying to be ugly, nor was I trying to start the dreaded debate, though I know people are going to take it that way. I don't really care how people bake, nor do I think one method is better than the other. Maybe I should have worded it differently. Either way. I'll just keep my mouth closed because apparenly my opinion isn't welcome on the subject.

costumeczar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:28pm
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Now c'mon Mom (Jan) A good scratch VS box is a whole lot better than "how much is my cake worth" LOLOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

What about "Would you pay more for a scratch cake or a box cake and does it matter if the baker is licensed or not?" icon_rolleyes.gif

For the OP, I think that adding white chocolate to a white cake recipe does make it a little denser if I remember correctly. If you're looking for good scratch recipes you can always go to epicurious.com. They have a rating system that allows people to rate the recipes after they make them, so you can get an idea about whether something is a dud or not before you try it.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #21 of 49

I'll have to get back to you on mine. It's at home, and I'm at work.

Thank you so much!!!! thumbs_up.gif

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:50pm
post #22 of 49

Love your cake, looks so yummy! Homemade cakes taste way better than cake mixes. After you master a recipe you will never buy a cake mix.

cadgurl07 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #23 of 49

[quote="TexasSugar"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

JanH
CC Forums Mod

I agree. I was stating mine.

Cadgurl, I'm excited for you that you did find a recipe that worked really well for you. Apparently that is the most important part of scratch baking. I have made scratch bundt cakes but haven't tired my hand at many decorated cakes.

I wasn't trying to be ugly, nor was I trying to start the dreaded debate, though I know people are going to take it that way. I don't really care how people bake, nor do I think one method is better than the other. Maybe I should have worded it differently. Either way. I'll just keep my mouth closed because apparenly my opinion isn't welcome on the subject.

You are most welcome to your opinion. I was just trying to restate what I was trying to say...that maybe someone who never had a scratch cake...might want to try. I thought too that maybe I worded mine wrong. I love hearing people's opinions about different things. Like, I never thought about the texture some people might like that you get from a box mix that you might not be able to get from a scratch cake. Please don't "keep your mouth closed" because without people giving their opinions the world would be far too quiet and we would never learn from one another.
Thanks again to everyone for everything.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:02pm
post #24 of 49

Cadgurl, I didn't take it that you didn't welcome my opinion.

I need one of those little huggie faces.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #25 of 49

could someone lead cadgurl07.. to the thread or threads .. that talk about all this ... then she could see everyones opinion on this matter.. and could help her .. everyone has a different opinion. and that is ok.. right?

JanH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

everyone has a different opinion. and that is ok.. right?

Sure is. icon_biggrin.gif

For Jackie's guidelines on posting:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661107-.html

List of previous scratch vs. box cake and/or doctored cake mix threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-596517-.html

HTH

vsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vsmith Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #27 of 49

I bake from scratch and for a while I was just using recipes that looked good from the Better Homes and Gardens wedding cookbook we got. Then I tried some from Allrecipes, and THEN I found this site and the recipes!

There is a really good scratch cake from this site (I think it's called "A Better White Cake" or something like that...I know it's in the threads somewhere and maybe on one of those recipe Google docs) and I've had great results with it! Just some tips: I sift everything, use all butter, whole eggs, whip the egg white seprately, and modify and add stuff for different flavors.

Have fun, and hope this helps!! icon_biggrin.gif

vsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vsmith Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm
post #28 of 49

Also, if you search "Strawberry Cake from Scratch" on Allrecipes, you'll find a yummy strawberry cake that I like a lot. If you didn't want to use strawberry Jello, I'm sure you could use strawberry extract or something else for a more berry taste!

sweet12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet12 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:45pm
post #29 of 49

Ive been trying to find a good scratch butter & vanilla cake recipe--any good recipes? I too have tried to bake some scratch recipes but have had no luck--maybe i need to find a good recipe and will hopefully have success...???

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:45pm
post #30 of 49

Oh geez, not another person getting all sensitive over nothing.

Cadgurl07 you didn't sound inappropiate in any way. Have fun learning how to bake from scratch. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%