Hi Ratio Shortening Recipe

Decorating By deena1987 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 1:11am by Mug-a-Bug

deena1987 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I've just received my first tub of sweetex shortening. What is the best recipe to use? I still want to use butter instead of flavored butter. Can I just subsitute the sweetex for the crisco I've been using? Thanks.

5 replies
JanH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 6

Here's a thread with hi-ratio b/c recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633723-.html

I wouldn't recommend just substituting hi-ratio 1:1 for Crisco in recipes because it doesn't take full advantage of hi-ratio's superior performance properties. And, as hi-ratio is more expensive than AP shortening - you're wasting money!

HTH

Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for asking this. I am in the same boat. I use sugarshacks recipe, only 1/2 butter. I just ordered sweetex.... do I use it just the same?? icon_confused.gif I noticed in her youtube on making her bc she uses a little extra shortening. Thanks in advance. thumbs_up.gif

DsLady614 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 6

You should use 1/3 less hi-ratio than regular shortening. Other than that, you can use any recipe that you like. I use the buttercream recipe by Serious Cakes that should be in the recipes here. It uses both butter and shortening and I love it.

Deb_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

Thanks for asking this. I am in the same boat. I use sugarshacks recipe, only 1/2 butter. I just ordered sweetex.... do I use it just the same?? icon_confused.gif I noticed in her youtube on making her bc she uses a little extra shortening. Thanks in advance. thumbs_up.gif

I too use Sugarshack's recipe except I use 2 1/2 cups of butter and 2 1/2 cups of Sweetex. I'm generous when measuring the shortening (which is what she says) so I probably end up with an extra 1/3 to 1/2 cup.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:11am
post #6 of 6

Thanks ^^^

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%