Does Anybody Hates Baking As Much As I Do?

Decorating By vagostino Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm by CookieD-oh

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibug0975

I used to feel this way, but I don't mind it so much anymore.

What I mind now is the friends who want me to bake their cakes & make their icings (& help with fondant- I make them roll it out) so that they can decorate. I had two friends over on Monday who I did all this for.

I had wanted to decorate a cake myself, but never had time to start one with running back and forth between the two of them and helping them.

(Colored all their fondant for them too).

Once was ok.... they got the idea.... but next time the friends must help with more of the work part!

If all they want to do is decorate tell them to get some cake dummies icon_wink.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I love baking. It's my very favorite part of caking.

I have an employee who fills, crumbs and covers! I have a commercial dishwasher (the program takes 90 seconds). The only thing I wash by hand are my precious ML pans.

Oh my! How perfect is that?!!

I don't mind the baking, its the clean up part I dislike. Ah, making buttercream too, thats not my favorite either as its sooo messy!

I think all decorators should have their very own cleaning fairies. That way they can just fly into our kitchens on cake makin days and take care of all that ick stuff for us!! icon_biggrin.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:14pm
post #33 of 51

I have a 20qt standing mixer that makes the frosting for me.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #34 of 51

I looooooooove making IMBC/SMBC, LOVE IT! I love that point when your watching it mix and it's just fluid and then, and then, (drum roll) you see it turn into perfectly smooth, deliciously tasty, buttercream. Ahhhhh...

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm
post #35 of 51

Like to bake, love to decorate but hate dealing with customers who think they can get a 3d animal cake for $50. (And I live in an area where the cheapest house costs $400,00)

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #36 of 51

I think I love the baking part the most.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #37 of 51

I like the baking part (got it down to a nice little routine which keeps it short) and I really don't find the clean up too bad. I find having a really hot bowl of soapy water to hand makes the clean up so quick and easy I hardly notice it.

I've just found a fab way to make my bc that I no longer have snow storms in the kitchen either. icon_biggrin.gif

I always find that no matter how much I enjoyed decorating a cake, I'm never completly happy with it which can be wearing.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:53pm
post #38 of 51

I LOVE the baking part the best. Then again I love to bake/cook everything not just cake. icon_wink.gif

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #39 of 51

I like to bake when it's for my family or I get to try a new dessert etc...but I'm sooo sick of the regular chocolate or vanilla cake that everybody seems to want!!!
I try to push others flavors but people just want those mostly and then plain old buttercream....

CakesGoneSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesGoneSweet Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm
post #40 of 51

I love baking...hate cooking.

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #41 of 51

I love to bake and I'm a much better baker than decorator. However I'ved been baking for much, much longer than decorating. In fact I just baked a yellow cake (Dede Wilson's Essential Yellow Cake) since I'm trying new recipes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:37pm
post #42 of 51

I think the baking is somewhat boring...I do love baking something that is new or a dessert, or something that is supposed to look nice on its own straight from the oven (like a cookie or cheesecake) but sometimes the baking of the cakes gets kinda dull. I do prefer decorating.

I think the worst part for me is icing the cakes smooth...its my biggest challenge.

Speaking of hand washing...I've ruined alot of Wilton pans with the dishwasher...for now, I just use the dishwasher still but eventually I'll have to replace my pans and then hand wash.

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:40am
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Quote:

I don't mind the baking, so much.............I LOVE to smell a fresh baked cake!!!!! It's the cleaning up mess afterward...............from the cake pans to the icing tips..............yuck.....yuck...yuck.....

I totally agree with you susanscakecreations. I don't mind the baking and I love the smell of a cake just out of the oven. I even love eating some of the extra cake batter. icon_redface.gif But I have to say I love the decorating part better. I just don't like the part when I have to clean the mess afterwards! thumbsdown.gif

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #44 of 51

I don't mind the baking - hate the buttercream mess though and trying to get it smooth. I still get nervous and am never really satisfied with my cakes. And don't like cleaning up - I try to wash as I go. Getting better at that. But decorating is the best part for sure. I just try to remember it's supposed to be fun and it usually is icon_smile.gif

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #45 of 51

Love baking decorating and the look on their faces when its done, but the clean up is the worst and when Im on a deadline my nerves get so bad I get sick to my stomach!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:43pm
post #46 of 51

Hate baking - love decorating. This is why I only make faux wedding cakes. They allow me to be creative and I have no last minute stress.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #47 of 51

I love the baking part more than the decorating. Don't get me wrong, I love to decorate, but I love the creativity that comes with thinking up flavor combos for the cakes, fillings, and icings. I LOVE experimenting with different takes and intensity levels of flavors. I'll try different brands of chocolate or soft cheeses, random spices, exotic fruits...the possiblities are endless! I'll happily pair up with anyone who would rather decorate! LOL!

I do hate the cleanup...I don't know anyone who thinks the clean-up is the best part of the deal icon_lol.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #48 of 51

Hi...

I wouldn't say... I hate it! but it's my least favorite part.... i think if I hated it... maybe I was in the wrong business...

PS... my other least favorite part is Sifting Powdered Sugar! icon_sad.gif

MissSassyBuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSassyBuns Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:11pm
post #49 of 51

I love love LOVE baking! There's nothing more satisfying than putting all those ingredients together in a perfect way to create this beautiful cake or dessert that people just ooooh and AAAaaah over! And trying out new recipes is like an adventure.

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #50 of 51

Just reading about how many DHs help out!! Can I have one of those??! Mine will help with the dishes if gently forced, but doesn't like to do it! Doesn't help that I am a dreadfully messy baker...stuff everywhere!! I find that it takes days for me to clean up and put all my stuff away after (and I only have three tupperwares full!). So that is definitely the worst part for me...I'm learning to like the baking part (I never did before).

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #51 of 51

I love to bake. Still working on getting the decorating down, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%