Bc Border On Fondant?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm by Win

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:55am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a 9X13 2 layer cake for a work farewell. My co-worker is a HUGE Calgary Flames hockey fan, so the cake will have a flaming "R" instead of a "C" in the middle, with "Go Rosemary Go" above the R, "But we'll REALLY miss you" below the R. I am planning on covering the cake in MMF (the cake is red velvet with wh choc cream cheese) and doing the accents in fondant.

I want to do a rectangular BC border around the flaming "R" and the words. My question is: would this look okay? I've only even done a BC border around the actual bottom edges of the cake.

If not, any other ideas? Strips of fondant? Or something other than a border to frame/highlight the focus of the cake. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 5

try again...

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 5

I use buttercream borders around my fondant all the time, not just as a border on the edges of the cake, but around cut-outs I've done. I think it looks just fine.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 5

I don't see why it wouldn't work...though the fondant may be easier to work with if you need to shift or move it at all. Once B.C. is there, it's there or you scrape the whole thing off.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 5

Your other option is a royal icing border around the above mentioned. I am assuming you are not referring to a thick border. Either should be just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%