Do You Advertise In The Wedding "books"

Business By jenmat Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm by ccr03

jenmat Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:52am
post #1 of 5

I'm sure they have different titles in different areas, but what I mean is the bi-yearly large wedding publications given out to brides at wedding shows, displayed at bridal shops and venues, etc. I have been pursued by the owner of our local book quite a few times, and the price is just extremely high. He has emailed again, offering some incentives, and I am tempted to play ball.
Truth is, I don't really need the business- sales are up about 90% over last year (only the second year in business, so its not saying too much). However, I would love to hear opinions on the success of this mode of advertising.

4 replies
CakeForte Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:55am
post #2 of 5

No. Internet is where it's at. You're just padding the book owners wallets when you purchase an ad.

costumeczar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 5

I have to disagree...The brides in my area do use the books, because I ask them how they found me. They give them away at the two large bridal shows in the area, and every bride gets one.

I do agree that internet is the best place to be, but if you advertise in the bridal guides they also link you on their websites (usually), so you're essentially paying for another link to your website from theirs. The two guides that publish in my area have also just gone "high tech" and have changed to a larger format magazine and also have the entire magazine online, so brides can go through the whole book on the website.

They also have networking meetings monthly for advertisers, so that's a good way to get your name out to other vendors.

I'd say to check into the perks that come with the print ad. If they don't have a website listing that links to your site, and nothing else to benefit you, I'd be reluctant to advertise. Most print ads come with other benefits, though, so you have to see what's included before you make a decision.

jenmat Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks to you both. They are offering me 5 months free "pre-print" advertising on the website, and I am asking him what he can do for me to come down in price. We'll see if he'll bite, and then I'm really going to have to think hard. Don't want to waste my small budget, but I figure if I can increase my interest even more I will also increase pricing.
This is Premiere Bride, which is nation-wide, so its pretty widespread.

ccr03 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 5

It really depends on your market and target audience. For example, I target my audience both electronically and print. I have Twitter, FB, Flickr, Myspace, and Blogspot all in addition to my own Web site. For my computer savvy customers, this is great and starting all of this now will definitely help as the business gets bigger and I (and my customers) become more proficient in these mediums. Now, a VERY big part of my audience is not the computer savvy or have easy access to computers. I know it sounds unimaginable, but it's true. I am not a high-end bakery and I know my clients aren't either. So in my case, I need to use both print and online tools to market myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%