Do You List Pricing In A Small Town Newspaper Ad?

Decorating By bfranzen Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 8:23pm by sweetartbakery

bfranzen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfranzen Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:24am
post #1 of 4

I am putting an ad in our local, small town "shopper" that goes out to everyone in the area for free. I am listing some of my Valentine specials, ie Raspberry Cinnamon Rolls, Raspberry Turnovers, Decorated sugar cookies, etc. Should I list prices with them or let them call me for prices?

I'm afraid that if I list prices, people will freak out (THAT much for cookies!) but I also don't want to field a million phone calls asking about prices. This will be the second ad I've placed--the first was for Christmas goodies and I didn't list prices, I just said Christmas Cookie and Candy Trays, and then listed other available items as well. Then when people called, I was able to give them a price for what they wanted--a dozen of this, a dozen of that, etc. The Valentine's items are more specifically priced--the cinnamon rolls will be made in my heart shaped pans so they don't get to choose the size, etc.

I'd appreciate some input! Thanks!

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 4

If you think the prices will scare people away, don't list them. Just be prepared with a set price list so that you don't feel tempted to reduce your price if people act like that's too much when they call you!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 4

If you're afraid your prices will scare people away, they will probably still be scared away by that price if they call... Publishing prices will save you the headaches of talking to them and hearing "oh, that's more than I want to spend"...

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with threedgirlie- I would list them. can you do at "starting price" for the smaller or cheaper items? then they could call and you could also temp them with the fancier things. I do that when people ask for prices, and it works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%