Help! Class Buttecream For Roses

Decorating By mymomandmecakes Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm by joyfullysweet

mymomandmecakes Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #1 of 7

I can not get the class buttercream for a wilton I class so when I make rose petals they are freyed on the edges!!!!!!!!!!! I have never used buttercream this stiff and then when you add water avery little at atime tiis too soft and won't stand up! this is rediculous any one have a trick or been thru this before! please help this is embaressing I MAKE tons of cakes just never made a rose the proper way!

6 replies
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 7

Try adding piping gel instead of water to thin it down a bit. Yes, if it is too stiff it will cause the frayed edges.

MJoycake Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:54am
post #3 of 7

I found the same thing when I was in the Wilton classes....try adding a little corn syrup - a couple tablespoons - that's what worked for me when I was using that recipe. Oh - and I had to buy an emergency tub of the canned Wilton icing during the makes excellent roses.

JanH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #4 of 7

.moving to Cake Decorating. icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #5 of 7

Hey thanks for asking that question because I was wondering the same thing!

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 7

Add about a tablespoon of crisco or a teaspoon of piping gel per cup of icing. Your icing isn't too stiff, it is too dry. By adding the crisco or piping gel it makes it more creamier and will work better.

Roll a bit of butter cream in a small ball then squish it a little between your fingers. You want your buttercream to be sticky to the touch but not actually stuck to your fingers.

joyfullysweet Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 7

I had the same problem. I HATE class buttercream. I can never make it consistently and it tastes gross!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%