Why Do They Even Bother??

Business By CakeForte Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 3:59am by CakeForte

CakeForte Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:02am
post #1 of 13

Ok Vent. icon_mad.gif

Why do potential clients ask me for appointments at a time that is CLEARLY NOT listed on my website??? I think I lose more clients this way than anything else because I can't meet at the time they want.

My website says, these are the times when I am available for appointments then I have a series of dates and times. I basically do tasting days twice a month, several hours at a time.

Anyway...it's really irritating. I would rather them just not email at all.

12 replies
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:05am
post #2 of 13

2 reasons.

1 - people don't read, they just click the email thingy and email you.

2 - but they're SPECIAL, so surely you'll make and exception for THEM.

snarkybaker Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 13

Or because they really would like to do business with you and can't meet during you " consultation hours". If it happens a lot, maybe you should look at having hours that are more convenient to your potential client base.

Can you imagine a hairdresser that didn't take appointments on Saturdays?

Deb_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:47am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

Or because they really would like to do business with you and can't meet during you " consultation hours". If it happens a lot, maybe you should look at having hours that are more convenient to your potential client base.

Can you imagine a hairdresser that didn't take appointments on Saturdays?

Yeah, I have to agree. If it's happening a lot then maybe you'll have to make an exception once and a while.

After 28 yrs of hairdressing and scheduling client appointments I can say with certainty that flexibility is key....I've opened my salon many a time to accommodate a client that couldn't come when I was officially "open" for business.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:59am
post #5 of 13

I still don't end up with a ton of tastings but I find due to incredibly diverse work schedules, my clients have a WIDE variety of times they are available so as of yet, I just accomodate them as needed. I schedule them based on my current cake schedule, I try for the slower weeks/weekends.

CakeForte Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:57am
post #6 of 13

I understand having alternate times...but I'm not at the level yet...I still work another job to make ends meet, and I do this by myself.

ETA: And I'm out of town on a business trip...which is why I couldn't meet with her, which is why the date wasn't on the calendar.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #7 of 13

I know...its just that you said you are losing alot of orders so I just thought maybe you could try to work in the other tastings?

I dunno, no easy answers for you I guess... icon_sad.gif

CakeForte Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:05am
post #8 of 13

It was just a vent.

I've tried all sorts of ways as my schedule has changed constantly over the last couple of years (due to school).

Tasting events every couple of weeks has been the most successful for me, even though I've lost plenty of events due to clients wanting to come in on off days.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:09am
post #9 of 13

Sounds like you are pretty busy!!!

I'm still trying to switch my business over to more wedding cakes...I get alot of calls for birthdays (nice fondant 3D or stacked) but still fighting to get more than an occasional wedding.

_Jamie_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:19am
post #10 of 13

Sunday. Sunday evening. I have no idea, and maybe it's just my area....Sunday. Works like a charm. And Tuesday evenings.

kaat Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #11 of 13

I know how annoying that can be but the one of the best pieces of advice I got in customer service training was - it may be the 28th time you heard that question today but it's the first time THEY'VE asked it.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #12 of 13

Vent away, vent away, vent away. I have people ask, but sometimes I just can't change my times.

CakeForte Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #13 of 13

Yes I have them on Sundays. It was too hard running around on Saturdays juggling deliveries and meetings.

I see the stars aligning though, so hopefully it's only a few months of this craziness...then I can be more flexible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%