Fondant/gumpaste Help

Decorating By chasley101 Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm by chasley101

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 9

I am needing help. I really don't know the difference between gumpaste and fondant. Other than gumpaste dries quicker. (i know, i really don't know much difference) But I have a cake due Thursday and they just requested a big loopy bow to go on top of the cake. I don't know that my fondant will dry in time if I make the loops tonight. Can anyone give me some suggestions on whether the fondant will dry in time or how to use the gumpaste?

Thanks!

8 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 9

I would suggest doing the bow in gumpaste for a faster drying time, or you can add tylose to the fondant so it dries faster. 50/50 works well too.
Gumpaste is more elastic and can be rolled thiner than fondant, making more delicate details.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 9

Gumpaste would probably work better. The main difference between fondant and gumpaste is that fondant is usually eaten and gumpaste isn't. Gumpaste dries really hard. You can roll it thinner than fondant. It works the same as fondant, but you want to keep the extra pieces covered while you're working with it because they'll start to dry out almost instantly and then they'll crack when you try to shape them.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 9

I get confused about this too. I've read lots of recipes and some say gumpaste is one recipe, fondant another different recipe, then others say that gumpaste is simply fondant with tylose added to make it stiffer. Is this correct or do you use totally different recipes?

Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I would suggest doing the bow in gumpaste for a faster drying time, or you can add tylose to the fondant so it dries faster. 50/50 works well too.
Gumpaste is more elastic and can be rolled thiner than fondant, making more delicate details.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Ditto! thumbs_up.gif I've only attempted one loopy bow, but I had about a week to do it and did it with 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. I would do it in gumpaste if you're worried about your piece having enough time to dry.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal81

I get confused about this too. I've read lots of recipes and some say gumpaste is one recipe, fondant another different recipe, then others say that gumpaste is simply fondant with tylose added to make it stiffer. Is this correct or do you use totally different recipes?

I use Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe, which is like royal icing with tylose added to it. And for fondant, I make marshmallow fondant, so it's really different from the gumpaste.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal81

Fondant and gumpaste are 2 different things and they dont work the same. Now, if you add tylose to fondant, you can work the fondant almost like gumpaste. But the quality might not be the same.
As for stiffer, the more tylose you add to the fondant the harder will it get and the faster it will dry.
Edna icon_smile.gif

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:03am
post #8 of 9

Thanks guys. Now I've got that sorted, I've found some recipes including the NL one mentioned, that are totally separate recipes. Can't wait to have a play now! I wondered how you got the gumpaste so thin on your videos Ednaicon_smile.gif

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you!! I used 50/50 fondant & gumpaste ... they are at home drying right now so we will see how it turns out tonight.

kiwigal81... glad this could help you too!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%