Birthday Cake Serving Chart

Decorating By Trance Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm by leah_s

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have or can direct me to a link for Birthday Cake Serving Size Chart? If I understand correctly you do not get as many serving as you would for a wedding cake. Is this correct?

Thanks In Advance...
Trance

4 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 5

I use the wedding chart for every cake I do, otherwise I'm just short-changing myself.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 5

Ditto to jammkenks. Have you personally seen a slice of cake that is the Wilton wedding size? Perfectly fine.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 5

OP - that is only true of single layer (that is 2" high) sheet cakes, the width and length of the slices must be larger to compinsate for the height of the pieces being half that of layer cakes. I personally don't do single layer sheet cakes, so my serving size for rectangular cakes is 2"x1"x4" just like for any other cake.

The 2"x1"x4" serving size yields 8 cubic inches of cake. With a 2" high cake, to get the same volume of cake, the pieces must be cut larger (2"x2"x2").

A 4" high (2 layer) 9"x13" rectangular cake ("quarter sheet") will yield about 50 servings. A 2" high (single layer) 9"x13" rectangular cake ("quarter sheet) will yield about 25.

For any rectangular cake, to determine the number of servings, simply divide the surface area of the cake by the surface area of a piece of cake. Generally it's best to round down a bit from that number just to be on the safe side (most people don't cut pieces exact and its pretty much impossible to cut odd into even evenly).

HTH!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 5

I use the wedding cake chart for everything. Otherwise I'm giving away free cake. it's hard to make a living at this giving away free cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%