What Kind Of Cupcake Pan To Buy?

Baking By kileyscakes Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm by PDXSweetTreats

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 3

I bought a couple standard wilton alluminum cupcake pans quite a while ago and I haven't been able to get any nice shaped cupcakes, they don't rise that much and the edges stick to the pan. At fist I just thought it was just all my recipes but today I just made a box mix and they did the same thing so now I think it is my stupid pans. Does anyone else have this problem with these pans or should I just run to walmart and grab a couple nonstick ones? Does anyone recommend any?
Also I was wondering does everyone bake one pan at a time or two and rotate the pans? or do you use a 24 cup pan?
thanks alot
Kiley

2 replies
meowmix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meowmix Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #2 of 3

I think the best thing to do is have cupcake liners because some of them are really beautiful. they have these ones that are bright colors and are a better quality paper than the stuff you buy at a grocery store or wherever.

pans have to be greased and floured no matter what. the more crevaces the better it has to be greased up and floured. wilton makes something called cake release, it works but so does crisco and flouring with a sifter or a nonstick spray called Bakers Joy.

I used to think nothing of flouring and greasing but now i do it like crazy even with my cakes that i bake with liners in them! seems OCD but comes out clean every time. birthday.gif

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 3

Hey, Kiley -- I just tried my Wilton pans again yesterday and had the same problem. Any of the cupcakes that domed got super stuck to the pan!!! I'm going to try meowmix's rec -- greasing the pan -- but just the top around the rims, and see what happens. I've read a couple of books where the authors (like Dede Wilson) recommend the non-stick pans, so if the greased rims don't work, I might try one of the non-stick type (coupon time!) icon_smile.gif

I also put two of the Wilton pans in at the same time (12 cup each) and rotated around 8-10 minutes in and they came out okay. But, next time I'll use the convection feature -- new oven and I've never had that option before, so need to try it out! LOL

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%