Pregnant... Should I Do A Cake At 34 Weeks?

Lounge By EmilyGrace Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 12:57am by KitchenKat

EmilyGrace Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 17

I was asked to do a wedding cake for June 19th, I'll be 34 weeks pregnant by then. This is my first pregnancy and I have no idea if that is realistic or not! I would like to do it and don't see why I wouldn't be able to... but what do you think?

16 replies
lindambc Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 17

In my opinion, it all depends on how you feel. If you feel good and you think you can do it, then do it. If you can, try to have someone there to help you with the lifting and stuff like that.

My youngest is going to be a year old in 10 days and I made cakes my whole pregnancy. As long as I felt up to it, I baked!

Good luck on the new baby and the cake!

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 17

Hi! First of all, congratulations to you and your family on your new arrival!!! icon_smile.gif

To answer your question, not being a parent myself, the only things I can think of are [1] What IF, for some reason, you go into labor early? or [2] What if you have to be on bed rest? Of COURSE I only hope for a healthy pregnancy resulting in a healthy baby and Mommy!

My SIL was due in October of this past year. Her pregnancy was going along fine, no issues. Then at one doctor visit, her BP was up. The doctor sent her STRAIGHT to the hospital and they had to deliver the baby the next day (6 weeks early). Thank goodness everything turned out well and everyone is doing just fine. But you just never know!

So, knowing you really want to do the cake, I would say to definitely have a back up plan JUST in case you are unable to do it.

Hope this helps! And wishing you blessings of happiness and joy with your new baby! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBakinBarbie

My SIL was due in October of this past year. Her pregnancy was going along fine, no issues. Then at one doctor visit, her BP was up. The doctor sent her STRAIGHT to the hospital and they had to deliver the baby the next day (6 weeks early). Thank goodness everything turned out well and everyone is doing just fine. But you just never know!

That happened to me too.

tonedna Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 17

Congratulations!

I am not sure..I got really dumb when I was pregnant..icon_lol.gif
Then I had complications and my baby was delivered at 34 weeks.
So in my case, it would be a no no..
But he is 13 now and I aint having more kids..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 17

Hi Texas_Rose. I hope everything turned out well for both of you, too!

EmilyGrace Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 17

Ya, thats what I'm worried about. But I have an Aunt who was a professional cake decorator for years, she's retired from it now, but I know she would help me out if I was in a pickle. Maybe I'll just confirm with her that she would do it if I wasn't able too and then let the bride decide if she's alright with that.

tonedna Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 17

I think is wise to have plan B!..Then I say go for it!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kiwigal81 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 17

I'm with the back up plan. I was always overdue, but I have friends who are always 34 or 36 weeks. You never know until you're there, and by then it's too late for the cake!Perhaps you could do any decorations that need to be made really early, and have a backup for the actual cake?

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:

Hi Texas_Rose. I hope everything turned out well for both of you, too!

It did icon_biggrin.gif My little one had to stay in NICU for a couple weeks but she was fine after that. She's 7 now and almost as tall as me icon_biggrin.gif

Uniqueask Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

That happened to me too.

Me makes three, not trying to hijack this thread, and no Sympathies please this has been 5 years ago, will be six this year. but I had the same problem only my son did not make it he was born three weeks too early.

So plan and Plan well, and like others say make sure you are feeling great you and your baby's health are the most important, and make sure you have help. Good Luck and Congratulations.

G_Cakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:27pm
post #12 of 17

Well congrats on the pregnancy first of all...and I hope that everything goes well either way.

What I would do in a situation like this is advise the client of your concerns and have something in writing that covers you should for any reason your not able to honor the contract.

Being a first baby, your not sure how you will respond as the pregnancy progresses...so if in doubt don't icon_wink.gif

I could see if it was a smaller cake for a birthday or something but a wedding cake is usually a large and sometimes stressful undertaking.

Perhaps you can take on the contract but also meet with a local baker who would be willing to step in should you not be able to do it...this way customer still gets a cake and you have covered you bases.

HTH

confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 17

I second everyone! There should be no reason why you can't do it but you never know. I have had three babies and never any complications, bed rest, etc and could easily have made cakes at 34 weeks. We've been extraordinarily lucky! Sounds like having your aunt as your backup and making any sugar flower decorations and such early would work well.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 17

I should have mentioned in my other post, I felt fine in the beginning of my pregnancies, but by the time I was 18 weeks along in my 1st I had to go on blood pressure meds and then I had no energy and kept passing out for a while. (I also had to spend hours each day counting how many times the baby kicked in an hour and if it was ever less than 10 I was supposed to go to the ER). In my 2nd pregnancy, I had to take blood pressure meds when I was 5 months along and at 6 months they put me on bedrest. So it's hard to predict how things are going to go, but there's a good chance that you would have some advance warning if you weren't going to be up to it.

It's good that you have a backup plan.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:38pm
post #15 of 17

Having a backup if you take the order is the only way I say "go for it"... I am pregnant with baby number 3. With the first two I would have been OK until the last week or two. With this one, my doctor is already talking bedrest starting sometime between 28-32 weeks... And I'm only 21 weeks right now! With pregnancy, you just NEVER KNOW!

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:44pm
post #16 of 17

Sounds like you could have the best back-up ever! I DO hope this all works out well for you! icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:57am
post #17 of 17

And keep in mind that due dates are only estimates. The current standard (40 weeks pregnancy) is based on a small study (less than 200 women, if I correctly recall). Current, modern research, with subjects of thousands and tens of thousands of women, all show that actual gestation is in fact between 10 days and 2 weeks longer than the 40-week standards.

As a first time mom, the approximate chances of you giving birth on your supposed due date is 5%, before due date is 25% and after your due date is 75%.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%