What Buttercream Do You Think Would Go Well With...?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm by kellertur

confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 8

I need some suggestions for a buttercream that would go well with a Guinness chocolate cake. Vanilla would be fine, but I am looking for other ideas too!

7 replies
JanH Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 8

.moving to Ideas. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 8

Chocolate? Never had Guinness in a cake or in a glass, but you can never have too much chocolate!

kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 8

caramel buttercream

confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

caramel buttercream

I was thinking caramel myself! The last time I made caramel buttercream, though, it was not very caramelly (probably not a word). Any thoughts on how to make one that actually tastes like caramel?
Last time I mixed caramel sauce into my buttercream and the flavor just wasn't strong enough, especially against chocolate cake.

kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 8

Caramel does pair well because of the amber-ish (if a word) flavors in that beer.

I use brown sugar in my caramel. I shortcut for this process and I actually have flecks of caramel in my icing. I melt the brownsugar with a bit of water until it bubbles, then let it briefly cool and add the "caramel" little by little to the BC. You have to becareful or it will clump in the icing. It's really flavorful and it gets requested often. I use it for Mocha cakes, Turtle and lots of others.

I hope this helps. You can make it as strong as you like the way I do it.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

Caramel does pair well because of the amber-ish (if a word) flavors in that beer.

I use brown sugar in my caramel. I shortcut for this process and I actually have flecks of caramel in my icing. I melt the brownsugar with a bit of water until it bubbles, then let it briefly cool and add the "caramel" little by little to the BC. You have to becareful or it will clump in the icing. It's really flavorful and it gets requested often. I use it for Mocha cakes, Turtle and lots of others.

I hope this helps. You can make it as strong as you like the way I do it.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! I can't wait to try it.

kellertur Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 8

You're very welcome. PM me if you need any help. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%