Would This Size Look Funny? Have You Done One?

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 12:51am by Mug-a-Bug

HarleyDee Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 16

Would it look funny to have a round cake with 18/14/10/8/6?

I don't have an 18" pan yet, so I have the other pans stacked to see what it looks like but I can't tell if I like it or not. Would the 4" difference in the bottom two tiers look weird against the 2" different in the top three?

The design will be simple, a couple of clusters of flowers around the cake with a monogram on top.

Have any of you done a cake this size?

15 replies
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 16

It really depends on how it is decorated, but, personally, I prefer consistency in the tier difference. How many servings are you needing?

HarleyDee Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 16

That's the problem, she's not sure. The wedding is in June and they haven't sent out invitations yet, but they're thinking they will send about 500. This large number is because the fiance is a youth minister at the church where they are getting married, and they expect a large portion of the church (big congregation, lots of older members) will show for the ceremony. The reception, however, is at a country club 20 minutes away, and they do not expect everyone at the ceremony to come for the reception.

So for now I'm giving her info from anywhere from 260-320 servings for the bridal cake, because she's pretty sure she wants a 10/8/6 square groom's cake to serve 100. This way she knows the minimum she will be spending.

prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 16

Dang! I hope they've got a big budget!

When they say 500 invites, do they mean 500 people or 500 invitations, cause that's a big difference in numbers....

Anyway,

A 6-8-10-12-14-16 will give approx 310 servings (counting all tiers)...if they want an anniv tier, you could put a 4" on top. I have the 18" round as being approx 125 servings, but you probably really don't need it as well if they have a 100 serving groom's cake, too (btwn the 2 that'd be 410 servings). Of course you don't have to have all the servings in the main cake. Would she consider kitchen cakes?

HarleyDee Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 16

They're thinking 500 people (not invitations, sorry), and they said they weren't inviting the whole church (not sure how they're going to get around that?)

I don't want to do a 4" on top, just because she's wanting a monogram on top, and I think 4" will be too small. They do want to keep their top tier, so I also let them know that for an additional discounted fee, I can make a replica of the top tier to deliver with the cake for their anniversary. I don't offer a cake or gift certificate for their one year anniversary only because I have no idea what will be going on in my world in a year, and I just don't want to deal with any problems that may arise.

And I actually did give her a quote for a 16/14/12/10/8/6 as well. So maybe she will go with that because I like consistency with tier sizes as well. And she is NOT the type who would do kitchen cakes icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 16

I personally do not like it. I had a customer like that....for the marshmallow/smores wedding cake. And she wanted to be "close to her serving amount" and did not want to go over or under. So I let her have her own way. And I REALLY regret it, because especially due to the design of the cake, the difference in size really made it look "off" and kinda crooked. (I had trouble stacking with the meringue icing as it was, but that size difference made it much worse.) It was for a very prominent wedding planner and very ritzy venue and although they all said they loved it, I feel that had I insisted on making the tiers all even, that the cake would have been much more presentable and professional looking.

Because to all the guests, it looked (probably) like the baker messed up...when in reality, its what the MOB requested. I regret it alot because it could have been my opportunity to really "shine" where the big bakers work..instead, I felt it looked quite messy. *sigh*

Kitagrl Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 16

Oh I wanted to add that maybe it would look nice if you had something special to break it up...pillars, or a separator....or alot of flowers or greenery so that it looks planned to have the size difference at that point.

HarleyDee Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 16

Yeh, I think if she decides to go with that configuration, I will see if she would want to do a whole tier of flowers under the 10".

_Jamie_ Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 16

Sweet!! I love huge cakes. I wish all of my orders were that big ((sigh)) icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 16
HarleyDee Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 16

That's beautiful Edna, and the size difference works perfectly for that cake!

prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 16

Would she consider maybe doing a double-barrel tier instead of so many tiers?

cakesweetiecake Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

It really depends on the design..Look at this..
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272960

Edna icon_smile.gif

Such a lovely cake!

tonedna Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 16

That's what you need to figure out. How to fill the space so it looks like it was meant to be like that..

A bow would do the trick too...or even a swag.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1314141

Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

It really depends on the design..Look at this..
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272960

Edna icon_smile.gif

Such a lovely cake!

Thanks!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:51am
post #16 of 16

I think that would be fine. The cake in my avatar is 6/8/12; hardly even noticable, especially to the 'untrained' eye. I agree with Edna, you could add a bow or something to break up the space. Good luck, post pics icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%