Do I Have To Beg???

Lounge By JGMB Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 3:50pm by Monkess

JGMB Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 17

My best friend just called me to complain about her inlaws. One BIL just got married for the 3rd time in Florida, so they want to have a family celebration here on Saturday. They doled out the chores, asking one sister to get the corsage, another the candlesticks, etc. They asked my BF to get the wedding cake!!! It's already Tuesday, for goodness sake, and her MIL told her not to go to too much expense, just to go to the Cheesecake Factory and buy 2 different sized cakes and plop one on top of the other. Can you imagine?!!!!

Anyway, I said to please let me do it. I'm DYING to do it -- I know my cakes aren't professional, but if they're expecting Cheesecake Factory, they can't be too disappointed in mine.

Well, my BF said no, that she wasn't calling to hint for me to do it, just to vent. She doesn't want to put me on the spot, take advantage of me, etc. I really don't think that she doesn't like my cakes -- she's just the type who would never ask for anything.

So, what should I do? Like the Temptations, I'm not too proud to beg! LOL Should I, or should I just let her do what she wants? Did I mention that I'm DYING to do this?????

16 replies
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 17

You want them to use you in this horrendous fashion? Kudos to your BF for not taking advantage of you! Now, she needs to stick up for herself and tell her BIL that if he wants a wedding reception he can pay for it his own bleepin self (or MIL if she's the instigator). Honestly, she should NOT go spend $200 at the cheesecake factory for a wedding cake for him. If I were her, I wouldn't even go to this gimmee's party. What a rude family your BF has!

Deb_ Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 17

Nothing personal but I happen to like the Cheesecake factory's desserts. What's wrong with that?

At least she isn't going to BJ's.

If I were you I'd stay out of this trainwreck....they're doing you a favor.

KASCARLETT Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 17

Tell your BF that you REALLY want to do this that you know that she wasn't asking for a favor or anything but you really want to do it.
I do think that it was great of your BF for not saying she wanted you to make it. But I would just pick out a few pictures and send them to her and tell her to pick one out! lol

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 17

If you want to do a cake, do one personally for your BF or someone else you know. You can just go play in the kitchen and see what you come up with.

Kudos to your friend for not dragging you into the mess and not taking advantage of you, even if you say you don't mind. Thinking you won't mind sounds good in theory until it is 3am in the morning and you are up for a second night trying to get a cake done for someone knowing your time spent probably isn't going to be appreciated by the BF's BIL.

Let this chance to practice pass you by. Instead make BF a cake that says thanks for being my friend and looking out for me. icon_smile.gif

JGMB Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Nothing personal but I happen to like the Cheesecake factory's desserts. What's wrong with that?

At least she isn't going to BJ's.

Oh, I wasn't dissing the Cheesecake Factory at all. I've never had their desserts, so I take your word for it that they're good. I was scoffing at the part about buying 2 sizes and plopping them on top of each other. I told my BF that the top one would sink into the bottom without dowels.

prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 17

That's generally true, but I think with cheesecake you might actually be able to get away with it, especially if it was going to be eaten pretty quickly after the plopping. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheesecake factory is yummy, you should really treat yourself and go to one! Just don't eat for like 24 hours before hand, so you have plenty of room!

Deb_ Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 17

You ain't kidding prterrell.....we used to go for a meal and then never had room for dessert....well we thought that the food there is just your average frozen premade stuff lol....so now we just go for dessert.

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:00am
post #9 of 17

OP, whatever happened with this situation?

JGMB Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 17

Well, I just now finished it!!!! My friend reconsidered and called me, telling me that she'd let me do it if I were sure she wasn't imposing, yadda yadda. . .

I didn't tell all the details of the story to begin with. My friend was widowed 4 years ago, and her husband's family is the only one she has. She was used to spending all the holidays with them and still wants to, so she doesn't want to alienate them. That's why I wanted her to have something decent to take. I hope this cake qualifies (I think it'll be better than 2 desserts from the Cheesecake Factory plopped together, no disrespect to the restaurant!).

I did the cake in 3 separate tiers so that she could transport it more easily. I didn't spend days up until 3 in the morning. I baked yesterday and decorated this morning, and I was done by 10 am. It was fun to make, and I'm so glad she let me!!!
LL

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 17

Very beautiful! You are a very good friend!

cylstrial Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 17

It turned out great!

JGMB Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:49am
post #13 of 17

Thanks for the kind words! I got an e-mail late last night from my BF, saying that the family was so impressed and that she was so proud to have brought the cake. I'm glad. icon_razz.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 17

Very nice!!

cylstrial Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Thanks for the kind words! I got an e-mail late last night from my BF, saying that the family was so impressed and that she was so proud to have brought the cake. I'm glad. icon_razz.gif

I don't think there's anything better than that! Congrats again and way to go! icon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:46pm
post #16 of 17

Wonderful job! icon_smile.gif

Monkess Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:50pm
post #17 of 17

Good job...way more personal than CFicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%