Why Arent My Cakes As Tall As Say Bakery Cakes?

Decorating By cakeaddictunite Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm by cakeaddictunite

cakeaddictunite Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request to make a 1/2 a sheet cake and I'm wondering why my cakes arent as tall as bakery cakes. do they use more than one cake mix? if anyone has any pointers please i'm open to them icon_cry.gif

8 replies
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 9

A standard box cake mix (Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines, Pillsbury) is NOT enough to make a half sheet (12"x18") cake. If you look on the box, it directs you to use 2 8" round, 2 9" round, or 1 9"x13" (aka "quarter sheet) cake pan. Additionally, these are standard "home bake" pans, meaning they yield layers around 1 to 1-1/2 inches tall.

Bakeries do not use the box cake mixes that you see on the shelves. Even those that do use a mix are not using the boxes from the shelves, they are purchasing the mix in bulk sacks (say 50 pound sacks!). They also use more batter per pan because the pans they are baking in have higher sides, which yield higher cakes when filled with the appropriate amount of batter.

If you are going to bake a 12"x18" rectangular cake and want it to be 4" tall (a pretty standard height), you need to bake 2 layers, with 15 cups of batter per layer.

HTH!

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 9

A 13x9 needs 7 cups of batter to be a nice 2in layer. A 11x15 needs 11 cups and a 12x18 needs 14 cups.

A standard cake mix makes 4-6 cups of batter depending on the brand and flavor. BC and Philsbury make 4-5 where as DH tends to be 5-6.

Kitagrl Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 9

The bakery sheet cakes aren't very high....I would say if you can have enough batter to level the cake off at the top of your 2" sheet pan, then that is tall enough for a single layer sheet.

Of course wedding kitchen cakes are two layer, but otherwise I would think people ordering sheet cakes are looking for a single layer, like at the grocery store.

cakeaddictunite Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 9

prterrell..... my cakes come out about 1-1 1/2 inch tall so i need more batter then phewwww thought i was losing my mind!!! now i know im not insane~yet sooo TexasSugar if im reading it right I need 14 cups to make a half sheet cake???they want only one layer. is that correct? sorry im pretty new to this baking cakes for others

prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Of course wedding kitchen cakes are two layer, but otherwise I would think people ordering sheet cakes are looking for a single layer, like at the grocery store.

Not all grocery store sheet cakes are single layer. Publix sheet cakes, for one, are always 2 layer. I'm sure they're not the only ones, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannabreeden

prterrell..... my cakes come out about 1-1 1/2 inch tall so i need more batter then phewwww thought i was losing my mind!!! now i know im not insane~yet sooo TexasSugar if im reading it right I need 14 cups to make a half sheet cake???they want only one layer. is that correct? sorry im pretty new to this baking cakes for others

14-15 cups of batter for a 12"x18" ("half sheet") pan/single layer.

cakeaddictunite Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 9

thank you cakers sooo much!!! you have saved so many tears! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 9

I use 3 mixes in a 12 x 18 pan

cakeaddictunite Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 9

TY tiggy2 ~thats prolly what I will do if I dont make it from scratch

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%