Do You Bake Cookie/cracker Crust?

Baking By Melvira Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm by Melvira

Melvira Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 6

When I make a cookie or graham cracker crust for a pie I usually don't bake it. I want to make some of my mini pies (cupcake size and mini cupcake size) that can be eaten with fingers at a cocktail party instead of having plates and forks out. When I serve my larger pies that are not baked there is inevitably some crust that crumbles away. Am I correct in thinking that baking the cookie/cracker crust will make it stick together and make it easier to pick up? Or is my memory really not serving me here? (I vaguely remember that being the whole reason for baking it.) Or do I just need to 'pack' the crumbs better/tighter into the pan? Any thoughts are appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 6

Yeah, you're supposed to blind bake the crust first.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 6

I just made a cheesecake. I bake the graham cracker crust first.

Melvira Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 6

Ok, I thought that was accurate. I don't normally because, well, I'm lazy! Hahahaha! icon_rolleyes.gif But if I want it to stay together I'll have to take that extra step! thumbs_up.gif

Mike1394 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:49am
post #5 of 6

It all depends on what kind your making. As a general rule if the filling is cooked before hand your crust also needs to be cooked before hand. If it is a raw filling they need to be cooked together. This is just a general rule.

Mike

Melvira Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Mike! I'm talking about non-coked pies. Like french silk, peanut butter silk, etc. So I'd definitely want to bake first. French silk doesn't like the heat! Hahaha! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%