Questions About Wedding Cake

Decorating By stashie Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm by prterrell

stashie Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 2

I am making a 3-tiered stacked wedding cake for a family member next month and I have a few questions.

1. I need to serve 50 people without using the top layer. Is a 6/8/10 my best option? (I thought each layer should be 4" difference to look best but not sure how to do it with only 50 serving)

2. When placing ribbon around cake with buttercream doe sthe ribbon discolor from the shortening in the icing or do you treat the ribbon with something?

3. When using silk flowers do you pull the blooms off of the wire stems and gently press into the buttercream so they don't shift in transport, or do you decorate with flowers at the venue?

4. Do you just use cardboard rounds between each tier or am i supposed to use something else?

I have made 2 wedding cakes LONG ago but they were both elevated with columns between each tier.

thank you so much for your help!!

1 reply
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 2

1. I need to serve 50 people without using the top layer. Is a 6/8/10 my best option? (I thought each layer should be 4" difference to look best but not sure how to do it with only 50 serving)

The inch difference between tiers is really more of a personal taste thing. I prefer 3" difference myself, but a 2" difference is the true minimum. Unless you are putting the flowers mentioned below around the tiers, then you really don't need the 4" difference.

Here are some (round cake) size combos with their # of servings, not including top tier:
5-7-9 ... 48 servings
4-7-10 ... 57 servings
6-8-10 ... 64 servings

2. When placing ribbon around cake with buttercream doe sthe ribbon discolor from the shortening in the icing or do you treat the ribbon with something?

It really depends on the kind of ribbon you are using. Do a test with a small piece of the ribbon. Don't forget that if you are using a crusting buttercream, it will not react with the ribbon once crusted the same as smearing fresh buttercream onto (and into the fibers, really) the ribbon. If you see a potential for a problem, cut clear contact paper to the same size as the ribbon and stick it to the back of the ribbon. This will create a water proof (and grease proof) barrier between the ribbon and the icing.

3. When using silk flowers do you pull the blooms off of the wire stems and gently press into the buttercream so they don't shift in transport, or do you decorate with flowers at the venue?

I've never put silk flowers on a cake, but yes, you do NOT stick the wire stems themselves in the cake. Make sure you wash the silk flowers before using, they can get dusty in the store. Put the flowers on the cake at the venue. If the design of the the flower placement really needs the stems to be stuck into the cake, or you must do prior to transport (meaning you need the stems in the cake for securing), enclose the stems in drinking straws before inserting in the cake.

4. Do you just use cardboard rounds between each tier or am i supposed to use something else?

You can use cardboard rounds (covered with glad press-n-seal or not, it's up to you) along with plastic or wooden dowels inside the cake for support. Many cake decorators today are using the SPS, but it's not a must (I personally love the SPS, but the traditional cardboard round and dowel support structure has been around for a long time and does work). If you are going with the cardboard rounds and dowels support structure and are stacking the cake prior to transport, make sure you insert a long dowel all the way through the entire cake to help keep everything together.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%